Author Topic: Wanted: 14-17' Boat  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Papermouth

Wanted: 14-17' Boat
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:51 AM »
My brother is looking to invest in reasonable sized fishing boat, something with a couple seats and a steering wheel. Open to any suggestions, offers or leads.

Preferably:
Sale price under $3k
20-70HP oubtoard in good running condition
Aluminum but not required
Lake ready

If anyone has a lead on a comparable boat, please let me know. I appreciate your time! Thanks!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Wanted: 14-17' Boat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29 PM »
This sounds like a good craiglist search and use of IFTTT.  Basically, get a really good search only showing what you want to see.  I often would search by title only and put your max price.  Put min price in there too to hide junk boats or other wrong search results.  You can't easily put horsepower in your search as not everyone does that.  Here's one idea:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?zoomToPosting=&catAbb=sss&query=boat&minAsk=999&maxAsk=3000&sort=rel&hasPic=1&srchType=T&excats=

Then, get an account on IFTTT.com and follow the recipe where you have it send you an email (not gmail) when new results for your craigslist search come up.  He'll get an email (or maybe can configure to text as well) and be the first notified most likely when someone posts something.  I credit this approach to finding my current boat off craigslist.

Caveat -- you'll need to get that search in craigslist down so he's not getting emailed 20 times a day.  If he can be more specific, it'll reduce the search results.  Once he gets more specific though, he may not be able to do a title-only search and then he's searching both text and title and getting even more results.  My search in craigslist was something like:
Lund|Alumacraft|Lowe|ranger aluminum boat and was both text and title since not everyone puts the brand in the title and then put min price up higher to eliminate incorrect or old results.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Great idea and particulars, Matt!

I had never heard of IFTTT. I will definitely look into it, I am getting sick of re-searching the same sites and my brother isn't very computer savy to do so himself.

Appreciate it!

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Found a boat yesterday, brother took a deal on very nice 1979 Glastron.

Went out to the lake last night and the 175 HP Johnson screams, hull doesn't take on any water, and is fish ready with decent electronics and an older bow mount.

I'm trying to get my brothers cash into the SCF pot, if I can get him on the some crappie in the next couple weekends it shouldn't be too hard.

Another thanks to OneBlade for his recommendation. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal