Author Topic: Sulfur smell  (Read 16042 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
Re: Sulfur smell
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:39 AM »
thx for the info guys. ya learn something everyday. I usually wont recharge until the night before the next trip. my three bank that only is hooked up to the two trolling batts has a sequence of light flashes that I don't understand for a bad batt.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29 AM »
thx for the info guys. ya learn something everyday. I usually wont recharge until the night before the next trip. my three bank that only is hooked up to the two trolling batts has a sequence of light flashes that I don't understand for a bad batt.

Yes +1 on the info.

Hey Tom,
I do the same as you but I try to get the 3 bank plugged in as soon as I get home from the lake, let them charge about 24 hours and then leave them unplugged until the night before the next trip, topping them off one more time. I read and heard it's better for the batteries to be kept on the top end of their charge.

I try not to leave it plugged in for long periods of time, gas tank isn't far from the batteries and charger :bom:
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I usually won't recharge until the night before the next trip.

I've read, for what it's worth, that it's best to recharge your batteries as soon as you get home from the lake.  You don't want your batteries to sit in a discharged state as it'll shorten their life span.  Again, that's what I've read so…….  :dontknow:

OOpps…..  Sorry Shea, didn't mean to duplicate your post!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:38 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43 AM »
OOpps…..  Sorry Shea, didn't mean to duplicate your post!
:violent1: No Problem! I do think it's the best practice though!

I used to mistreat my batteries on my boat and my tires on my truck, some out of ignorance and some from laziness. Needless to say, I've made some big changes. My current set of both batteries and tires have out-lived all previous, and they seem to be in great condition.

Brian, thanks for the OP, good reminder and info from Kelley as well!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Not that starter batteries get drained much but those style you really want to keep at full charge and limit time at half or below - but doubtful they get that low unless you have other stuff like electronics and bubblers on them.  So I would agree charge them once you get home.  Deep cycle can handle getting drained better but same think I don't believe you want them sitting in non-fully charged state for too long.  Only exception and concern I have with these 15 amp chargers is if they charge too fast.  That just heats up the battery and heat is a killer so if you have a slow trickle charge setting if you're not in a rush I'd say use that.  I agree now I unplug after a day when all are charged and then I charge the night before.

Offline sandman

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Same here. Charge when I get home and then top off before a trip. Freezes kill a partially charged battery easier (not a problem here) so it was a habit that I got into long ago.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Not that starter batteries get drained much but those style you really want to keep at full charge and limit time at half or below - but doubtful they get that low unless you have other stuff like electronics and bubblers on them.  So I would agree charge them once you get home.  Deep cycle can handle getting drained better but same think I don't believe you want them sitting in non-fully charged state for too long.  Only exception and concern I have with these 15 amp chargers is if they charge too fast.  That just heats up the battery and heat is a killer so if you have a slow trickle charge setting if you're not in a rush I'd say use that.  I agree now I unplug after a day when all are charged and then I charge the night before.

some of your outboards like opti max and other computer controlled engines with the slightest reduction in voltage won't start :o they will crank but not start have had several friends run down starting batteries with electronics on and have an outboard not start even when it sounds ok cranking. One nice thing about larger outboards many have high amp alternators so they charge stuff quick with a run down the lake.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Thanks for all the good info here.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline THE DAD

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 01:15 PM »
It is the cabellas brand charger. I have always left them plugged in, not anymore!
Brian you may want to check the warranty on your charger , I believe Pro Mariner was making the Cabelas Brand chargers and Pro Mariner Chargers have a 2 year replacement warranty and a limited lifetime repair warranty. which means if it is repairable they fix it free of charge. ..That is if yours is covered.

Also Oneblade mentioned he had once mixed an Optima with 2 regular batteries on his three bank charger. This should never be done , These chargers will work on one or the other but they cant be used for both and most of them require you set them up for either /or on your initial install.

wadefisherman

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 08:21 PM »
It is about 5 years old, just got a new one at cabellas. I had all blue top optimas and will be replacing with same. I'm thankful it was not a worse situation. Will not leave it on charging more than 24 hrs ever again. I hope the info was useful for everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal