Author Topic: Talkalai this Sunday  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Tacoma Guy

Talkalai this Sunday
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Hi all,

Heading to Talkalai on Sun. with my Dad.  It might be a bit early in the season, but we are gonna give it a go.  I will let everyone know how we did when we get back.  Anyone else been up there recently or heading up there this weekend ?

Piscolli

Re: Talkalai this Sunday
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Should be interesting. Talk has kicked out a lot of Crappie in years past.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32 AM »
good luck, stay safe
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Yes, please post a report & I'd like to see some lake/launch pics if able.  Good luck, have fun & be safeā€¦

Offline Tacoma Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Hi all,

Well the good news was it was a perfect day on the water.  As for conditions, my thermometer broke when we were loading up so I don't know exactly what it was, but it felt colder than 60 degrees for sure.  Visibility was poor with murky conditions.  Lake was spilling over so it is full.  Weeds and cover were much more pronounced than when my boys and I shore fished 2 years ago here.  Shore fishing would be difficult for most of the lake with current conditions.  If you do tackle it, the most open area was around the spillway. 

We only managed 2 small bass all day.  We did not see any fish on beds even in some of the clearer areas.  We trolled minnows plain.  We tried BBC, John Deere, Fire Tiger Kalin grubs.  We tried with minnows and without.  We had 2 pole stamps so we tried Panther Martins, small white crank baits and nada.  We put in a full day getting on the water at 8 AM until 5 PM.  We varied speeds as slow as .5 mph and tried some passes at 1.2 mph.  As for depth we tried putting the bait on the bottom and brought up in 2 ft. increments.  I don't have a depth finder on my Porta-Bote so I'm not sure (but it seemed to vary anywhere from 7 - 15 ft in and around the coves).  It is quite shallow where the river comes in on the North side.  Also seems to be a place spawning crappie would set up shop.

I will try to post pics from my IPhone when I figure it out.  It keeps telling me my file is too large for even one picture for the website.  As for boat launch, it is very narrow.  There is no way I'd be able to get the Ranger back in there.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I will try to post pics from my IPhone when I figure it out.  It keeps telling me my file is too large for even one picture for the website.

I use Photobucket w/ my iPhone, download pics to the Photobucket app then to share just copy the image link & then paste to your post.  Quick & Works good for me.

Thanks for the post and info. 

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for the report Tacoma Guy - great details.  Someday I'll make it up to that lake.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal