Author Topic: Weight or no Weight  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Bennyb1

• Sweet Baby Rays taste good on everything
Weight or no Weight
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:04 PM »
When trolling would you recommend using a weight or weightless on your line......sorta like the capps & coleman just with out using a egg sinker....I went out to Bartlett this morning and trolled near the bouy line and realized I had sum egg sinkers and thought since its a little windy maybe they might help....so I thru one on and booom cought a dink...wasent to happy to  catch a bass I was pretty stoked when the tip pooped in water I was sure I had a crappie on the line........a lot of boats in the water so a constent wake..pretty annoying............anyways my riggs is mainly main line to a snap swivel then my leader with 2 jigs about 12-14'" apart......

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Weight or no Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19 AM »
If using a jig, I wouldn't put a weight on there unless the wind is really bad or you're trying to troll really deep. Even still, I don't think I've ever needed to put an extra weight on when trolling, I just put on a heavier jig head. When trolling you generally want to move as slow as possible, so when you put more weight on there you might be going below their strike zone or snagging way too much.

Your rig sounds similar to what I use (or used when I was fishing a lot). I know some guys here like to use swivels to make it easier to change jigs when needed, but I just put a jig at the end of my line and tie another one up the same line about 18 inches higher. That's always worked out great for me. The last time I was going I started using braided line and put a 3 way swivel on the end used a light fluorocarbon leader on the swivel.  You just have to play with it and see what the fish want that day.

Offline Bennyb1

• Sweet Baby Rays taste good on everything
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04 AM »
thanks buddy....

Offline Tarheelsportsman

• Southern Crappie Masters
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48 AM »
If you are spider rigging (tight lining) or drift fishing with slip bobbers then you will need some weight. If you are slow trolling (long lining ) then your jig head size and trolling speed will determine your trolling depth. The faster you troll the jig will get deeper.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56 AM »
If you are spider rigging (tight lining) or drift fishing with slip bobbers then you will need some weight. If you are slow trolling (long lining ) then your jig head size and trolling speed will determine your trolling depth. The faster you troll the jig will get deeper.

The slower you troll the deeper your jig will get, the faster the higher it will get.

Offline Tarheelsportsman

• Southern Crappie Masters
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:21 AM »

The slower you troll the deeper your jig will get, the faster the higher it will get.
IAMMAC, you are correct, I'm having a ADD type of day. Faster the troll the jig will be higher in the water column .

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:12 PM »
what's trolling :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30 PM »
what's trolling :dontknow:

Trolling is when you post a pic of the blue cooler on the other sight :sign0151:

Don't recomend using any additional weights when trolling, if you wanna get deeper slow down or use heavier jigs. I have used 1/4 oz roadrunners trolling before to get the bait in the right zone at the right speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal