Author Topic: Gas Vs Electric Trolling Motors  (Read 6472 times)

Offline CraptastiC

• AZCA Members
Gas Vs Electric Trolling Motors
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I have not done much trolling for crappie, but I wanted to know what are the pros and cons of using a gas Vs electric trolling motor?  My concerns with a small gas motor is it may be too noisy, and if I run out of gas i'm screwed getting back off the lake.  The concerns with the electric motor is how long a battery might last.  How do you troll all day on batteries?

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Gas Vs Electric Trolling Motors
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Most of the bigger boats (18'-21') have two batteries for their TM connected in series for a 24 volt system.  Gives them more run time along with a bit more power.  Now for smaller boats with a 12 volt system you have a couple options such as two batteries connected in parallel which will give you a bit more run time or if you don't have the space for two batteries a single group 31 battery might be a choice for the added capacity.  As long as the wind isn't a factor you "should" be able to troll most of the day.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Hey CraptastiC - Welcome to the site.

I'd say Electric, 100% - You're concerns with the gas are spot on IMO.

As far as how long batteries last, depends entirely on the set-up and environmental variables.

1) How many lbs-thrust of a trolling motor
Normally relative to boat size, for my 16.5' bass tracker my 60 lb-thrust gets me around pretty good, smaller boats could get by fine with a 36 lb as long as it isn't too windy, etc. lots of other sizes and efficiencies out there to explore as well.

2) 12v or 24v trolling motor, how many batteries, quality of batteries, etc.
I have a 24 volt trolling motor that requires 2 12v deep cycle batteries hooked up in "series" to complete the 24 volt circuit. I used to have a 12 volt motor where I would also use 2 12v deep cycle batteries hooked up in "parallel" essentially doubling battery capacity, and fishing time.
Batteries come in different sizes and amp hours, etc. Manufacturer plays a role such as Optima's technology for example but come with a much higher price tag.  All things to consider.

3) Wind on any given day
Sometimes in order troll at crappie speeds (+ or - 1MPH) my foot pedal is on power 2/10, others 3.5/10 and so on. Windy days drain batteries. Many crappie fishermen don't like to wind for various reasons.   

In the short of it, my batteries could last as long as 2 days of fishing without a charge or only 1 day if you add a fair amount of wind. I do my best to recharge the batteries at the end of day of fishing no matter what. Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions. Most folks on this site run similar set-ups to mine, but everyone varies to a degree.

If you look closely in my avatar, I was "in-between" bow mount trolling motors for about a year when one took a crap, I am using my old minn kota stern mount 12v, 36 lb-thrust on my boat that was my 8th grade graduation gift in 2001 - although it wasn't nearly as convenient of a set-up, the latest and greatest isn't required for trolling crappies. 
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21 AM »
OOOps! Looks like it was my turn to double on what cousinlll said!!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:23 AM »
OOOps! Looks like it was my turn to double on what cousinlll said!!

No worries - you done good……   :lol_hitting:

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:56 AM »
With a gas motor you can't go slow enough for many types of conditions.

Offline freshwater

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Not only that it stinks when the wind blows it to ya. :angry4: :violent1:

Offline CraptastiC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Thanks guys! hopefully pic up a new motor and marine battery in time for SCF! I have some questions about the open meeting, membership and SCF tournament, but I will do that under the proper forum.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I used a good larger 12V battery with a MinnKota 55lb thrust on a 16ft aluminum under low to no winds and it would work 2 days assuming I was trolling less than 1mph and a few breaks through the day.  But I often would run out of battery and use another battery I had in the boat just running electronics.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31 PM »
If I was the OP I would pick up the "Pay if Forward" bowmount elcetric trolling motor I posted. It is free.........you couldn't go wrong and I would be very pleased to see someone getting some good use out of it! Check it out in the "Buy/Sell" area of this site!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal