Author Topic: Gizzard Shad  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
Gizzard Shad
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:01 PM »
So what's the story about these gizzard shad?  Are they new to Roosevelt?  How do they effect crappie fishing?  I have seen a few posts about them but I don't know much about them.  Can anyone elaborate?  From what I have read so far, it seems that they are bad for crappie fishing, but I don't understand why? 
Rocky

Offline BloodyDuck2

Re: Gizzard Shad
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:35 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. I hear that they are a problem for our bass but not really get why? I know that once they reach a certain size yes but they are releasing the Florida strain of Bass. Would they not be BAD for Crappie at Roosevelt?
My name is "Bill" and I'm a Fishing ADDICT

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52 AM »
tons of theory's as to what the gizzard shad are doing to Roosevelt, they are fairly new illegally introduced they think back in about 2008, go into the g and f website and type in gizzard shad all sorts of information on influence they have on a fishery like Roosevelt. Biggest thing is they grow fast to 18+" and push out the thread fin shad.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:29 AM »
They compete with threadfin (our Crappie's main diet) for food. Years ago you'd see giant schools of threadfins everywhere, you don't see that anymore.

My understanding is that the FL bass are more to improve the lake for bass fishing and to try and get major tournaments back to Rosey. But a another effect could be that the larger FL bass will eat up some of gizzard shad.

Th Arizona Crappie Association led by our Special Projects Coordinator will be looking into and assisting with stocking Crappie in Rosey.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:21 AM by Piscolli »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal