Author Topic: trolling motor trouble  (Read 3297 times)

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
trolling motor trouble
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:38 PM »
so im cruizin around schoolhouse yesterday and just enjoying the scenery  :laugh: when all of a sudden my tm seizes up turning wise. so i mess with the pedal shich wont go up and down, notta. so i pick up the tm and turn the shaft manually, i hears a bunch of gears grinding and then it started workinagain no probs. so do i have issues or is this a one time deal. motor guide 71 lb.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: trolling motor trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I have a 55lb thrust MG, if it is the manual (push pull cable) you can take the top of the troll motor off, like 4-5 screws with the troll motor is extended down (if it won't hit the trailer) if so you can do it with it laying flat. Pull the cover off there is a gear with slide gear that comes off the cable, look for pieces of debri ect. If it jammed that once something probably broke or came loose, there are screws inside that hold the cable and gear so that they move the gear on the shaft and you can take them off and take the plastic cover off and look at the entire assembly (actually quite easy to do). Just don't drop the screws you take out. only other thing I can think of is if one of the bearings on the shaft is going out and it jammed and when you moved the shaft by hand you broke it loose again but I would do a complete ck before you drive all the way to rosy again and find out it takes another doo doo on you
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:05 PM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53 AM »
If you can't get it fixed on your own take it to Ernie at M&S Marine on Broadway in Mesa. He is the man!

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:04 AM »
thx. im a total fool with mechanical chit. just got back from rosey yesterday, it did its usual grindind and noisey but no seizing up. the bearing suggestion felt right on. id sure like one with a remote or auto pilot, so i dont have to dance on the pedal all day. are these add ons or new units. whats the cost on a bearing job. also i was thinkin that beacause i have the shaft fully extended perhaps im putting to much torque on the gears?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I agree with Billy, Ernie is the best with motorguide on the east side, if you are not comfortable with working on it take it in
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal