Author Topic: CHIRP transducer  (Read 9198 times)

Offline dickjane

CHIRP transducer
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I see someone mentioned a CHIRP  transducer for their Lowrance. So, my question is what is a CHIRP transducer? I'm looking at getting a new HDS7 Gen 2 with LSS2 and it comes with an 83/200 and down scan/side scan transducer.

Offline CaptainMorgan3

Re: CHIRP transducer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I just bought a new fish finder from Lowrance.  I went with the Elite5 HDI.  I had the same problem as you did with figuring out what each companies proprietary jargon meant.  Basically the answer I got was that the CHIRP technology transducer means that it can be highly customizable. 

It can be set for shallow, deep, slow, fast troll, saltwater, freshwater, on and on.  Many of these functions take some time getting used to.  I went to bass pro and ran one of there's for a little bit and could find, on DEMO MODE, I could get the fish to disappear and reappear using different settings.  once I felt fairly comfortable that I could do this in the store I decided to go for it in the real world.

Now that I have one in the field I have messed with it even more.  I have it set to do the type of fishing that I have been doing, slow trolling for crappie.  Although I did restore the unit to factory settings a few times so that I could start over. 

IMHO.  Its all a bunch of bullshit to sell product.  The chart plotter add-on called navionics was very worth it.  I can see very detailed bottom contours which has proven very useful.  Also after much adjusting within the unit I almost exclusively use the downscan image overlay option.  I think this works great to determine what is going on underneath me.  While slow trolling I was actually able to determine a fish following after my jig before it hit.

Let me know if there is anything that you would like to ask further about the unit.  I would be happy to investigate with the actual unit to answer any questions if need be.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12 PM »
I see someone mentioned a CHIRP  transducer for their Lowrance. So, my question is what is a CHIRP transducer? I'm looking at getting a new HDS7 Gen 2 with LSS2 and it comes with an 83/200 and down scan/side scan transducer.
                Chirp tech is something new Raytheon developed for the military and is now being used to enhance the performance of fishing units.  I would suggest you go to , http://doctorsonar.com/home.html  ,or,  BBC.com , and ask your question there where factory experts can answer your questions on how to use it , where to buy it etc. It is being offered as an ad on to certain Lowrance units but I thought it was not available yet to retailers . it is that new to the general fishing public certain, fishing pros got to use and test it last season .
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:21 PM by cousinlll »

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33 PM »
                Chirp tech is something new Raytheon developed for the military and is now being used to enhance the performance of fishing units.  I would suggest you go to , http://doctorsonar.com/home.html  ,or,  BBC.com , and ask your question there where factory experts can answer your questions on how to use it , where to buy it etc. It is being offered as an ad on to certain Lowrance units but I thought it was not available yet to retailers . it is that new to the general fishing public certain, fishing pros got to use and test it last season .

Sound advise from CraigM, Doc Sampson is a wiz to put it mildly when it comes to sonar operation.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16 AM »
here is an update on CHIRP info on a different site a really good explanation     ,   http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/506221-chirp-sounders-fish-finder-explained.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal