Author Topic: GPS Decisions  (Read 15950 times)

Offline 59wizard

GPS Decisions
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Ok so I went to Bass Pro this weekend and looked at fish finders. The Humminbird 409150-1 899C HD SI GPS and Sonar Combo Fish-Finder looks super cool for $1000 but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that technology. The Humminbird 409470-1 698ci HD SI Internal GPS/Sonar Combo for $650 might be enough.  The Lowrance Elite 7 for $600 might be just as good as well.

I know I want a better front mounted unit and a cockpit mounted unit for underway and back seaters. The Elite 4X for $200 seems like a good fit for the back.

These decisions are as bad as buying a new cellphone!  :banghead:  :banghead::banghead:

Ed

Offline 59wizard

Re: GPS Decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:42 PM »
The info on side imaging at http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/postturnover.html was really cool. I like the idea of watching your bait and how fish react to it. Jason doesnt say what Humminbird side scan dual sonar he has? Any ideas as to which Humminbirds he might be talking about?

I was just checking out the Lowrance® HDS-5 Gen2 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter at http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-HDS5-Gen2-Fishfinder/GPSChartplotter/product/53518500/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
and this might be a more sensible choice for the front or maybe both units at $550.

Should I go with two units that share a transducer or am I better off with seperate units each with its own transducer?

Ed   :sign0144:

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Sometimes different units can interfer which each other. Make sure to check into this.

Offline o from wi

• AZCA Members
  • snow bird
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Did you ever bust off a transducer?? I did on a MN trip. Guess how many I have now??
Never trust a man who doesn't drink!

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27 PM »
The info on side imaging at http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/postturnover.html was really cool. I like the idea of watching your bait and how fish react to it. Jason doesnt say what Humminbird side scan dual sonar he has? Any ideas as to which Humminbirds he might be talking about?

I was just checking out the Lowrance® HDS-5 Gen2 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter at http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-HDS5-Gen2-Fishfinder/GPSChartplotter/product/53518500/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
and this might be a more sensible choice for the front or maybe both units at $550.

Should I go with two units that share a transducer or am I better off with seperate units each with its own transducer?

Love my HDS9 touch simple to use down ,side and the best 2d sonar out there just got better with the addition of the CHIRP transducer , but I have used the elite 7 and it now is also available with the chip tech , no side imaging but down imaging and chirp for under $1000 hard to beat. I would suggest you see if you can experience what you think you like in a friends boat first ,I bought two HDS10s without using them first. Biggest sonar mistake I ever made. Far to complicated to use sold them and went to HDS9 touch easy to use right out of the box and better images than the ten more optional features etc etc. . Check them out first then buy would you buy a car with out a test drive? As for the transducers sharing them is simple with the HDS series from Lowrance but I still use a separate one for each head unit and carry extras just in case ( they have been known to crap out on you without hitting something.

Offline 59wizard

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30 PM »

Love my HDS9 touch simple to use down ,side and the best 2d sonar out there just got better with the addition of the CHIRP transducer , but I have used the elite 7 and it now is also available with the chip tech , no side imaging but down imaging and chirp for under $1000 hard to beat. I would suggest you see if you can experience what you think you like in a friends boat first ,I bought two HDS10s without using them first. Biggest sonar mistake I ever made. Far to complicated to use sold them and went to HDS9 touch easy to use right out of the box and better images than the ten more optional features etc etc. . Check them out first then buy would you buy a car with out a test drive? As for the transducers sharing them is simple with the HDS series from Lowrance but I still use a separate one for each head unit and carry extras just in case ( they have been known to crap out on you without hitting something.

Thanks, the HDS7 or hds5 seems like reasonable choices. Doubt I'll have anything instAlled be this weekend unless I buy a backseat unit and temp install just for the trip. I wish I had someone with higher end gear to check out but I will prob just have to decide with reviews and recommendations. I think buying  the lesser unit for the back first may be a good chance to educate myself on what to buy up front.  Thanks for the tip though, I agree with you that I shouldn't buy into technology that I'm not ready for. Thanks again and any other tips or preference are appreciated.
Ed   :banghead:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00 AM »
Ok so I went to Bass Pro this weekend and looked at fish finders. The Humminbird 409150-1 899C HD SI GPS and Sonar Combo Fish-Finder looks super cool for $1000 but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that technology. The Humminbird 409470-1 698ci HD SI Internal GPS/Sonar Combo for $650 might be enough.  The Lowrance Elite 7 for $600 might be just as good as well.

I know I want a better front mounted unit and a cockpit mounted unit for underway and back seaters. The Elite 4X for $200 seems like a good fit for the back.

These decisions are as bad as buying a new cellphone!  :banghead:  :banghead::banghead:

Ed

some of the humminbird units do not do well on the TM if it is a minn kota with the maximizer system like the terrova etc. I have battled mine for two years ended up moving the transducer off the TM and put it on a separate mount, lowrance does not appear to have this problem and it is apparently only certain models of the humminbird graphs
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Ford vs Chevy discussion.... And I'm not going there!  :greengrin:

Get the biggest screen you can afford with an eye to future purchases & upgrades.  Meaning your first graph purchase should be made with the intention to network with your future graph purchase.  A little forthought now in this regards will sure help down the road.  If this means that for the time being you may have to move the unit between bow & console or just turn it to face forward until you have the funds to purchase another one, then so be it.

What kind of TM do you currently have and any plans to upgrade in the future?  In regards to mounting transducers both on your TM & stern - spend the $$ and go here: http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/  don't order online - call them.

There'll be a number of people, me included, at SCF that you can see our set ups & pick our brains.

Offline 59wizard

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Ford vs Chevy discussion.... And I'm not going there!  :greengrin:

Get the biggest screen you can afford with an eye to future purchases & upgrades.  Meaning your first graph purchase should be made with the intention to network with your future graph purchase.  A little forthought now in this regards will sure help down the road.  If this means that for the time being you may have to move the unit between bow & console or just turn it to face forward until you have the funds to purchase another one, then so be it.

What kind of TM do you currently have and any plans to upgrade in the future?  In regards to mounting transducers both on your TM & stern - spend the $$ and go here: http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/  don't order online - call them.

There'll be a number of people, me included, at SCF that you can see our set ups & pick our brains.

Thanks Cousin,
As to brain picking, Piscolli warned me that if any of you guys give me a piece of your minds you are liable to come up short so I'll take it easy-lol jk

The boat is a 97 Sunbird 170 Fish and ski. This boat, trailer, and Motor/Trolling Motor were all produced by OMC as a package. So the boat has a 155hp Johnson outboard and a Johnson trolling motor. I haven't checked out the specs or model numbers on it yet but is has a small two bladed prop, ther head unit does not turn, just a red circle on top turns. Probably underpowered but i'm going with it for now since I have no electronics on the boat.

I figure there is a trolling motor in my future and I want the ability to link with gps to stay on station without anchors when that time comes. So yes I want to buy a GPS system that is compatable with that technology. For that reason I was thinking Humminbbird but I think I like the Lowrance graphics and ease of use better.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm not sure whether  Lowrance has units capable of this feature but I'm guessing in the next couple years it will be available on most brands. (imagine a future where your boat takes you to the spot, finds the fish, deploys fishing outriggers and line to the correct depth, then uses algorhythms to land the fish based on species, weight, and string tension. A stern deployed netting drone then nets the fish and flys it to the shore based auto cleaning station that filets , bags, and flash freezes the filets or batters and cooks them in time for your dinner back at camp. Hell why not just party and camp and let your boat fish for you?? I love the future, everything is so much easier there.)  :fish:
Ed  :toothy10:

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34 AM »
imagine a future where your boat takes you to the spot, finds the fish, deploys fishing outriggers and line to the correct depth

This part of your imagination already exists……

Given what you have said, with Hummunbird/Minn Kota joining forces you can have a 800/900/1100 series units networked together along with a MK iLink/iPilot Terrova & a LakeMaster mapping chip in said units all working together.

Don't get me wrong here - Lowrance does have some very nice units and I encourage you to check them out also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal