Author Topic: The last 2 weeks at Roosevelt  (Read 9196 times)

Offline Papermouth

The last 2 weeks at Roosevelt
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Have been tough to say the least..

Fished 3/28, 3/29, and 4/4 on the Tonto end of the lake, launching at the beach ramp at Bermuda Flat. I spent most of my time long line trolling above the trees along N/S buoy line and through the deepest portion of the channel running E/W. Found one exact depth that provided 14/15 crappies in the last 2 weeks. 32.5 ft, the deepest water I could find. I spent hours trying to disprove the crappies location, I couldn't except one small male in the trees. With little exception, Roadrunner's with BBC and JD and tipped with minnows were the chosen baits. I think I caught 2 on a bare red hook/minnow and 2 on Acid Rain. Some fish barely tapped it and needed several feet of line and a few fish just nailed it, setting the hook on themselves especially with the long rods.

4/3 I fished the Salt end launching at Grapevine, water temp was 67 degrees, warmest I had seen yet. I attempted to duplicate my Tonto end success and set out for deep water. Although I didn't have the time to thoroughly search for it, I was unable to identify a distinct channel. I worked my way in from 38 FOW, zig zagging trying to find a pattern to no avail. I ended up trolling the N/S buoy line south back towards Grapevine and we picked up our first fish above a widespread treeline topping out at 12-15 feet beneath the surface in 23-28 FOW. Eventually, we picked up two more feeding crappies on 4/3. All on roadrunners with Kalins grubs and minnows, one white/chart grub and 2 on bubble gum..

Derby day 4/5, launched at Grapevine. Major decision in this was water temp. On the weekend of 3/28, the Tonto had upwards of 65 degree water. It plummeted to 59.9 when I prefished it Friday 4/4 after a few days of high winds and I only caught 2 crappie duplicating what caught 13 the week before. It was a tough decision but I figured warmer water and a couple of recently caught fish were enough to launch at Grapevine and grind it out. And grind it out is what happen on derby day. I knew the general area I would be fishing and it was snaggy and eventually, crowded. I picked up the first fish at 7am, marked the waypoint and didn't leave the area until I was blown off at noon. I would have stayed there until 2:30 if I had a choice. The bites varied in intensity but of the 4 keeper crappies (Also cught 3 LMB and 1 9.5" throwback crappie), 2 smacked it and 2 barely tapped it. 2 took the bait while trolling 0.9 MPH and 2 took the bait on the inside rod on sharp boat turn. 2 liked BBC and 2 liked JD. I must gone through 6 pre-tied 3 way rigs and tied on another dozen/broken jigs from there. It was tough fishing but we put some fish in the boat with a some luck and a lot of persistence.

If anyone wants to fire away a question or have me clear something up in the ramble of a report, ask away. Thanks to everyone at AZCA crew for everything they do but a special kudos to Matt a.k.a Oneblade for his continued excellence as derby director. Always on time and on the tip top of things!
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: The last 2 weeks at Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39 AM »
I knew the water temp had dropped but man that is a bunch :o, no wonder they all left town up shallow, hope it gets rockin with the 90's this week, thanks for the report.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Mike / T

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Did you notice anyone fishing at night???  Where and how they did???

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Did you notice anyone fishing at night???  Where and how they did???

Couple club boats night fished for a few hours near Grapevine point - caught 5 between us with 4 being under 10"  Didn't move around much though.

Great report Shea!

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Great report, thanks for all the details. You put your time in and deserved every fish you caught. Way to work it out.
GOD BLESS

Offline freshwater

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Great Info and much deserved Winner :headbang: 

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Copngrats on the win. You definitely put in enough work to deserve it.

I was wondering if you were using a special colored RR. I was using the chart but never even got bites with it.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words!

Phreek, when it was all said and done there is nothing special to note.
Caught crappie on each jig color and the same ones I always use.

My preference in order:
Chartreuse RR
unpainted lead non RR
White RR
Chartreuse lead non RR
Pink RR

Don't care for orange except in Salome. I always tie on a orange RR in Salome. I add either an old school pumkinseed-chart powerbait 2" grub or Kalins fire tiger or green weenie.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline meatwagon

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Congrats on the win, and great report. :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal