Author Topic: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice  (Read 108601 times)

Offline oldazcoach

Going to Alamo for first time-Advice
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Got a 12' aluminum with 6 HP, going to try my luck on 4\18

Any advice on what to use for crappie and where

Been a while since I have been fishing

Thanks to all

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:52 AM »
A number of guys have been out there in the last few weeks with decent results so they might have more insight than me, but if I were you I would launch from Waypoint and fish the sticks back there or find the flotilla and join in.

If you don't know Waypoint, it's on the river side of the lake. You take a dirt road to get down there. There's a lot of campers out there on weekend so you should be able to find a spot to launch somewhere down there. Fishless will have a lot more detail than me.   :greengrin:

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Thanks- other than live minnows, what I used back in Texas, what are the popular jigs and such at Alamo

Also, are there Crappie in Pleasant?

Thanks again 

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05 PM »
My buddy and I fished Alamo  2 weekends ago and caught 9 keepers. We were tolling the second set of buoys (the no ski buoys) about .8 mph our best luck came on a chartreuse jig head w/ no grub but tipped with a minnow. We were fishing with about 12' of line out so trolling we were very shallow. With that being said we did pick up fish using john deer and bbc grubs along with chartreuse road runners tipped with a minnow. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:10 PM »
At just about every lake your best best is BBC (Black/Blue/Chartreuse) and JD(John Deer) 2" Kalin jigs. They can be found just about everywhere, but I get mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. You can troll with 1 or 2 jig heads on your line with each color. That's how I got started with crappie fishing. You can use 1/8 or 1/16th jig heads. Your weight should depend on how deep you want to fish or how the wind is treating you.

There are crappie in pleasant but I haven't fished for them at that lake in years. The northern coves (Castle Creek, Coles, and Humbug) we what I always fished. And when open the Agua Fria arm is always a great spot to go as well.

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22 PM »

Been looking at Az Game/Fish on-line, 

Is there a bag limit for Crappie and a size/slot for keeping them

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59 PM »

no size limit regrettably but there is a limit at bartlett and roosevelt 15 crappie per day per person
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02 PM »
A number of guys have been out there in the last few weeks with decent results so they might have more insight than me, but if I were you I would launch from Waypoint and fish the sticks back there or find the flotilla and join in.

If you don't know Waypoint, it's on the river side of the lake. You take a dirt road to get down there. There's a lot of campers out there on weekend so you should be able to find a spot to launch somewhere down there. Fishless will have a lot more detail than me.   :greengrin:

Waypoint?? where is that :dontknow: if you mean Wayside inn then you would have to drag your boat about two miles to get to water, lake is real low, you can remote launch up from cholla ramp numerous roads go down to the water, if you boat is trailered easy to launch if is a car topper you can launch just about anywhere there is a road going down to the lake. Just remember other than a small store at the lake (and they have minnows) there is not much out there once you turn off from the Wenden to head to the lake.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18 PM »

AZCrappie members don't keep anything under 10" and you may consider making that 12" but up to you.

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 03:21 PM »
We were at Alamo this past Sunday and only managed to catch 2 crappie.  The bites were very light.  I did manage to get 3 rabbits with the truck on the drive in so not all was lost.

The boat ramp is usable but drops off very fast.  Shouldn't be an issue with a small boat. 

There is a fee of $7 that you pay at the campground, right accross the way from the fish cleaning station.  Hopefully you'll need that later.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal