Going to Alamo for first time-Advice

(1/7) > >>

oldazcoach:
Got a 12' aluminum with 6 HP, going to try my luck on 4\18

Any advice on what to use for crappie and where

Been a while since I have been fishing

Thanks to all

PhishingPhreek:
A number of guys have been out there in the last few weeks with decent results so they might have more insight than me, but if I were you I would launch from Waypoint and fish the sticks back there or find the flotilla and join in.

If you don't know Waypoint, it's on the river side of the lake. You take a dirt road to get down there. There's a lot of campers out there on weekend so you should be able to find a spot to launch somewhere down there. Fishless will have a lot more detail than me.   :greengrin:

oldazcoach:
Thanks- other than live minnows, what I used back in Texas, what are the popular jigs and such at Alamo

Also, are there Crappie in Pleasant?

Thanks again 

on the rocks:
My buddy and I fished Alamo  2 weekends ago and caught 9 keepers. We were tolling the second set of buoys (the no ski buoys) about .8 mph our best luck came on a chartreuse jig head w/ no grub but tipped with a minnow. We were fishing with about 12' of line out so trolling we were very shallow. With that being said we did pick up fish using john deer and bbc grubs along with chartreuse road runners tipped with a minnow. Good luck and let us know how you do.

PhishingPhreek:
At just about every lake your best best is BBC (Black/Blue/Chartreuse) and JD(John Deer) 2" Kalin jigs. They can be found just about everywhere, but I get mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. You can troll with 1 or 2 jig heads on your line with each color. That's how I got started with crappie fishing. You can use 1/8 or 1/16th jig heads. Your weight should depend on how deep you want to fish or how the wind is treating you.

There are crappie in pleasant but I haven't fished for them at that lake in years. The northern coves (Castle Creek, Coles, and Humbug) we what I always fished. And when open the Agua Fria arm is always a great spot to go as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version