Author Topic: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice  (Read 108716 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 05:57 PM »
We were at Alamo this past Sunday and only managed to catch 2 crappie.  The bites were very light.  I did manage to get 3 rabbits with the truck on the drive in so not all was lost.

The boat ramp is usable but drops off very fast.  Shouldn't be an issue with a small boat. 

There is a fee of $7 that you pay at the campground, right accross the way from the fish cleaning station.  Hopefully you'll need that later.

alamo is weird part of the lake is outside the park boundaries and you don't have to pay (that is the reason you will see people camped and launching way up lake) if you are inside the park like cholla launch etc. (basically any paved road) you have to pay the daily fee, good luck

Philbie what was the water temp? was it still split pea green water up lake above cholla ramp?
thanks
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I have no idea what the water temperature was, no means to measure.  But yes, the water was very merky.  Did graph a lot of fish.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:19 AM »
thanks
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Just got back from 4 days at Alamo. Crappie action was very slow to say the least. I will admit that my wife and I were never on the water before 7:45 and quit by 1 or so (it got hot just in case no one noticed).
We fished Tues., no crappie, lots of bass and I think we could have filled the live well with cats, Wed., 2 crappie and same action on bass and cats, Thursday, 5 crappie a couple bass and a ton of catfish (which I refused to keep as I would have to clean them).
Lots of algae bloom all over lake but river end the worse.
All the crappie were caught in 5' or so of water around some kind of obstacle (stick ups, tumble weed etc:) on slip bobbers and minnows. I talked to several other boats of crappie fisherman and most were blanked or had 1 or 2. Water temp was mid 60's at 8AM but low 70's by mid day. Remember, that is surface temp and it was hot and flat.
I am tempted to go back towards the end of the week. Not sure what is going on but the females (3) all had eggs and the other boaters that I talked to who caught females also confirmed that.
If I were to go back I would do the same thing....but hopefully catch more crappie.
Last thought, as I was ready to depart this morning the park ranger stopped in camp, he said if we caught 5 we did better than most that he had talked to and he feels it is ready to happen any time. He is questioning why it has not happened yet!
Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:56 PM by azbohunter »
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Just got back from 4 days at Alamo. Crappie action was very slow to say the least. I will admit that my wife and I were never on the water before 7:45 and quit by 1 or so (it got hot just in case no one noticed).
We fished Tues., no crappie, lots of bass and I think we could have filled the live well with cats, Wed., 2 crappie and same action on bass and cats, Thursday, 5 crappie a couple bass and a ton of catfish (which I refused to keep as I would have to clean them).
Lots of algae bloom all over lake but river end the worse.
All the crappie were caught in 5' or so of water around some kind of obstacle (stick ups, tumble weed etc:) on slip bobbers and minnows. I talked to several other boats of crappie fisherman and most were blanked or had 1 or 2. Water temp was mid 60's at 8AM but low 70's by mid day. Remember, that is surface temp and it was hot and flat.
I am tempted to go back towards the end of the week. Not sure what is going on but the females (3) all had eggs and the other boaters that I talked to who caught females also confirmed that.
If I were to go back I would do the same thing....but hopefully catch more crappie.
Last thought, as I was ready to depart this morning the park ranger stopped in camp, he said if we caught 5 we did better than most that he had talked to and he feels it is ready to happen any time. He is questioning why it has not happened yet!
Good luck!

thanks great report, ya the green pea soup was real bad up lake last week, don't like it spreading down lake, glad the water temp is up where it should be, man everytime I have fished alamo this year I have had to deal with the wind, like a breeze but not gale force winds, was the lake very crowded? hoping with this heat the snow birds are leaving :dontknow:

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 08:40 AM »

was the lake very crowded? hoping with this heat the snow birds are leaving :dontknow:

Lots of open camp sites and the lake was not crowded at all. 8 or 10 vehicles w/trailers at Cholla at most. However there is a bass tournament today and Sunday with 75 boats entered. I would guess after this weekend it will be pretty quiet there.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 09:10 AM »
cool thanks for the info, I might call up there and make sure there is nothing scheduled during the week going into Easter :dontknow:

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I'm thinking of doing a day trip one day next week. I can't believe that Alamo is not going to go yet this spring.

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Great information, I am going to go to Alamo this Friday-Day Off-Yahoo

Tested my little engine Saturday, cranked right up, trolling motor won't work, bad switch I think

Anyway, I'm going try my luck-would like to fry up a few Crappie when I get home

Thanks

oldazcoach

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 07:59 AM »
One more thing, I live in Buckeye

How long can I expect it to take me to get to the Cholla Launch

I have never driven over there before!

I'll leave whatever time I need to get there by 5-ish Friday morning, when sun come up

Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal