Author Topic: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice  (Read 108602 times)

Offline Philbie

• Minnesota Crappie
Re: Going to Alamo for first time-Advice
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24 AM »
It took 2hrs from Goodyear.  Pebble Creek Pkwy and McDowell.  There is a fair amount of 2 lane road with less than ideal speed limits that time can be made or lost.  Just watch out for cows and sheep. Mostly open range.

wadefisherman

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Should be about 1.5 - 2 hr drive from Goodyear.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 06:01 AM »
slight chance of thunderstorms with rain this weekend, be careful for a small lake alamo can get rockin in the wind. Lake very quiet yesterday but be careful on that salome road especially before day light can be lots of animals on the road and there are dips where you won't see them till you right up on them.

There were burros all over the road last night including two herds way out 20 miles from the lake also quite a few cattle out on the road, again be careful when you are driving in on the alamo lake road from Wenden.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll be real careful on the drive from Wenden

I just would like to get on the water right before the sun comes up

heading to cabella's for some crappie tackle, jigs and such!

Any recommendations other than the what the other nice folks on this board have said.

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58 PM »
My significant other now wants to camp Friday night, instead of a short day trip

I'm good, fish Friday when I get there into evening and Saturday morning, won't have to drive early and in the dark!

Is tent camping good here? I'm used to camping up north on rim!

Any suggestions for which part of the park!

Thanks

wadefisherman

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25 PM »
You reserve sites on the Alamo web page,. The site you want will depend on if you want power/water. The website lists amenities with each site. They also sell minnows at the ranger Stanton.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55 AM »
You reserve sites on the Alamo web page,. The site you want will depend on if you want power/water. The website lists amenities with each site. They also sell minnows at the ranger Stanton.

ya the state parks store has ice, minnows, permits, and some fishing tackle etc. As wadefisherman has said different levels of amenities at the different camp grounds at the lake (and they were not very busy) all have a nice restroom, some have showers etc. or remote camp up lake above the cholla ramp and that area was real quiet you could set up a tent right next to the water :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline oldazcoach

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55 AM »
If I decided to save a few bucks and camp remote, can I launch this 12' aluminum from the shore pretty easily, like back my pick up to shore without any issues.

I looked at another website and saw some pics of boats tied up to some older trees sticking up

Are these still there, and if so where? Looking for CRAPPIE!!!!!!

Also, I'm bringing coleman lantern and propane stove to cook up a few things, what's the firewood situation for small fire Friday night.

I'm real excited about fishing this desert lake!

Thanks - oldazcoach - BTW, I coached football for 25 years, still teach. :thumbsup:

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11 AM »
About the fire, I would call the campground host. I heard on the radio that fire restrictions were going into effect today.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline CaptainMorgan3

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Just called the ranger station and they DO NOT have fire restrictions right now.  I will be out there this weekend.  Hopefully make it for the evening fishing but looks unlikely with work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal