Author Topic: Best lake for crappie in AZ?ong time  (Read 4455 times)

Offline DRAXX

Best lake for crappie in AZ?ong time
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:26 PM »
I always thought it was San Carlos, till I found this forum.  Is it Barlett?    Also, if anyone would be so kind as to link to some pics of the poles and gear you use to catch Crappie, I'd be greatful.  I just caught one a few weeks ago for the first time in a very long time and now I'm hooked!

Piscolli

Re: Best lake for crappie in AZ?ong time
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55 AM »
Draxx, you might want to browse through the Crappie Gear Forum for answers to some of your questions: http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/board,17.0.html

As far as rods goes I use a few different types depending on what I'm doing. Most of the time I'm trolling with a double jighead/ grub rigs. For this I use a 10' ML with a fast tip. When I cast grubs at trees or cover I use a 5'6" UL. When I fish with bobbers I use a 7' ML with a fast tip. Just remember that the old papermouth Crappie has to be fought with finesse. So use the lightest gear that you are comfortable with.

As far as lakes, that changes from time to time. San Carlos was the best with Alamo a close second. But Bartlett is much closer to us Phx guys and is usually productive. Years ago Roosevelt was my favorite but now its very tough. And of course SC went dry and is dead, at least for now.

I must say that its nice to have some new and excited blood on the board. You should seriously consider coming to the Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic next month. You will meet some great people that love to show off their techniques. http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,2463.0.html

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I would like to know about Saguaro Lake, that one is close to me.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:24 PM »
I would like to know about Saguaro Lake, that one is close to me.

I no some Slabs be in Saguaro.  My buddy cught 1 while back over by marina when we were fishing for gills. Was just under a 1lb and was a black slab. I have heard of a couple here and their since but no big numbers.

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Rob, I'm new to the East side, but in the last 8 months I've fished Saguaro about 30 times. In that span, I've visually seen 4 crappie, and caught one. The ones seen were by the marina on horizontal structure.  The one caught was a Black male, that was caught off of a mutually shared bed with another male bass. While primarily a bass lake, in the winter months, it is heavily stocked with Trout.  And based on the # of anglers that long line troll for those trout with spinners, small cranks, small spoons.......it there were crappie in numbers, the Trout guys would have a fare share of accidental catches, and every Trout fisherman I ask, always says "no" when I ask them if they've seen any Crappie.
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal