Author Topic: Question on 2 cycle boat motor  (Read 8587 times)

Offline Rob

Question on 2 cycle boat motor
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Back in the day I had a boat with a 2 cycle motor so I know the oil is mixed with the gas. But is it normal for a motor to let off alot of smoke when its running. I remember the one I had was not that bad. Also when I looked under the motor cover the engine was oily moist like if you would of sprayed it with WD 40 all over the motor.   

I would like to hear your thoughts, and any pointers what to look for and look out for when Im inspecting a boat to buy. If you know of a brand of motor I should stay away from because its junk please let me know. I dont want to get stuck with a lemon.

Thanks 

Offline ArZFisher

Re: Question on 2 cycle boat motor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Most 2 strokes require a 50:1 ratio mix. My 02 merc 25 hp 2 stroke will smoke a little when I first start it up but will go away. A little smoke is not bad.  Its when people don't put enough oil in gas or too much oil in gas is when they have problems.

Now the only 2 engines I have owned are a Nissan 9.8 hp 4 stroke and Mercury 2 stroke 25 hp. Nissan motor was great. No problems with it ever. Needed something bigger so I traded plus cash for 25 hp merc. I have had it for 5 month's and love it. I like the Mercury's better than the Nissan. That said I believe that Tohatsu makes the Nissan and Mercury motors 30 hp and lower.

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Thanks for the input. Man I've been looking and there is not alot of good boat motor combos out there.

Offline mojoman

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:58 PM »
You might want to try pure synthetic 2 stroke oil (Pensoil is excellent). A little expensive but it will clean your cylinders and maintain a high degree of lubricating protection and burns very clean; just check your plugs after a few hours of running. I now use strictly for my 15 HP Johnson trolling motor - smooth and no fouling at low speeds. Just make sure to measure carefully for 50:1 ratio mixture if that's what your motor calls for.

Good luck

Piscolli

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 05:17 PM »
the oily mess may be from a carb problem, stress "may be". But other than that let her smoke!

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:51 AM »
if the outside of any used motor is not clean enough to eat off of , RUN from it . it is an indication of problems and poor maintenance . :thumbsup: 2 cycles like my optis are no different than any other motor the oil is burned in a 2 cycle, not run down the side of the engine. If you are going to spend money on a used rig get a leak down test done by a reputable marine mechanic before you buy , a good mechanic can diagnosis almost all potential engine problems with a leak down test (far better than a compression test). If the mechanic tells you he does not know what a leak down test is or will not do it , find another mechanic. In the long run doing due diligence before you buy will save you much headache and money later.

Piscolli

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Craig is right. And if the seller won't allow this to happen move on to the next boat.

Offline Rob

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52 PM »
The boat I bought had a 7.5 Mercury I didnt get a chance to hear it run before I bought it. I did pull it over to see how good the compression was and looked all over for leaks, but for how much I paid. It was worth a gamble and the older gent I bought it from seemed pretty honest about it. I tuned it up with new plugs and new gas / oil and it fired right up changed the lower gear oil.
Now all my fishing buddy's all whimped out when I invited them to go fishing with me.  :dontknow:   

I think they couldn't get permission from their woman to go for a day.   :sign0081:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:58 PM by Rob »

Piscolli

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:11 AM »
I'd go ahead and change the gear oil and impeller.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:49 PM »
The boat I bought had a 7.5 Mercury I didnt get a chance to hear it run before I bought it. I did pull it over to see how good the compression was and looked all over for leaks, but for how much I paid. It was worth a gamble and the older gent I bought it from seemed pretty honest about it. I tuned it up with new plugs and new gas / oil and it fired right up changed the lower gear oil.
Now all my fishing buddy's all whimped out when I invited them to go fishing with me.  :dontknow:   

I think they couldn't get permission from their woman to go for a day.   :sign0081:

Yup if it has been sitting a long time change the impeller they will go bad sitting (dry out etc.) I know a lot of people that run sea foam through the engine by way of the carb to clean out built up carbon in the engine, not sure exactly how it is done? look that up on google search
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal