Author Topic: San Carlos ???????  (Read 23791 times)

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
San Carlos ???????
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:14 AM »
I am new to this club but do belong to other organizations that are very pro active to maintain and restore fishing . I hear on this site and others " the two fish left in there should start to reproduce " etc Has anyone thought of us ,the fisherman spearheading an effort to restock San Carlos perhaps with help from the tribe , feds , media etc . Fund raisers for purchasing stocker fish etc are done in many areas ,most recently 14000 lb of walleye were introduced into Lake Minnetonka by a private community group.A conservation group I belong to in Sun city made a substantial donation to restock a local community owned lake .Here I just see complaints ( justified in most cases ) Just a thought but if this group is really enthusiastic about restoring and preserving crappie fishing San Carlos would be a great place to start .  Anyone have any thoughts on doing something like this ??  eg., http://kstp.com/article/stories/S3606473.shtml?cat=1
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:17 AM by craigm »

Piscolli

Re: San Carlos ???????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20 PM »
A few years ago I spent many, many hours trying to get answers about SC water levels and fish population. I got tossed from 1 agency to the next. The land belong to the tribe, the dam belongs to the Army Corp of Engineers and the water (anything above the minimum "fish pool" of 900 surface acres, which BTW leaves the deep pools at about 2') belongs to the Gila Pact.

Needless to say, its a cluster and no one seems to care. Well except for the farmers down stream but they seem to only care when the water runs out.

Before I'd back any restocking efforts at SC I'd want something from the water district to the effect that they won't allow the lake to get below a certain level. I'd rather stock TNF and/ or state waters.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Soooo , knowing San Carlos is a great Crappie lake even though it occasionally goes dry you would rather put stock into lakes that do not need it ? . I was not thinking of stocking the lake to the brim but if there are none in there they never will come back . It was just a thought but your response gives me insight into a lot of things here.

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:31 PM »
That lakes has dryed up over 30 times in its life. If you want to champion an effort I'm behind it. I'll volunteer to help.

Offline Skeeterpeter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:08 PM »
San Carlos is too far away stock Bart and pleasant I'm all for that lol. Maybe chuck some more in Roosevelt. I wonder how to get that done.
Wishin I was fishin.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:33 AM »
with few predators left in the lake the tribe could purchase a few hundred crappie from fish farms and that lake could repopulate quickly. They seem to have given up on the lake, they like taking your money when there is water and fish, but spend (0) on keeping anything functional at the lake whether it be a restroom, garbage can, or even a launching area or the roads into the lake :dontknow:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:43 AM »
with few predators left in the lake the tribe could purchase a few hundred crappie from fish farms and that lake could repopulate quickly. They seem to have given up on the lake, they like taking your money when there is water and fish, but spend (0) on keeping anything functional at the lake whether it be a restroom, garbage can, or even a launching area or the roads into the lake :dontknow:
       My thought was I really could give a rats you know what as to who does it , Tribe , Feds , Tooth Fairy , the Club . Fisherman have a vested interest and might be able to jump start the repop somehow . I do not know how and am currently not in any position to spearhead anything ( health , other commitments ) but I would be willing to do what I could .I wanted to see if there was any interest here before I  begin my inquiries with these folks . I agree there seems to be little interest by these folks perhaps they do not think anyone elses gives a *** . Again I seems such a waste of a tremendous resource ,even if it held water some of the time it is such a prolific lake in my mind it is worth it.

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 08:59 AM »
The place to start would be http://www.scatrecreation.org/.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Find an endangered fish species in the lake then the US fish and wildlife service would get involved and dictate how low the lake could go?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Find an endangered fish species in the lake then the US fish and wildlife service would get involved and dictate how low the lake could go?
   you may be on to something any Ideas ??????

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal