Author Topic: crappie in the white mountains?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline scumbucket

crappie in the white mountains?
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:22 PM »
 :sign0144:  I just registered a few minutes ago. I used to live in St. Johns, and had a pond I stocked with crappie, but someone found the pond and caught all my fish. I am wondering if there are crappie in the white mountain area? If someone has information I'd appreciate. I was told that Nelson"s resivour has some, but I've never caught any there, just trout.

Thanks guys

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: crappie in the white mountains?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Nelson has crappie, fools hollow has crappie, lyman lake used to have a lot of crappie but I do not know what happened to them they seem to vanish about 10+ years ago.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19 AM »
We've caught them in Fools but they were tiny.

Offline scumbucket

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Lyman Lake was drained to work on the dam and headgate, and they put pike in the lake, no more crappie there. Nelson's is supposed to have crappie, but try as I might I've never caught one. Fools hollow in Show Low is a good lake, but you can walk across the lake on boats when it's warm.  I'd caught crappie out of Lyman and transplanted them to a private pond I built on a ranch near Lyman, but the rancher's family caught all my fish, so that didn't work, I refused to re stock the pond after that. :angry4:

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I'd caught crappie out of Lyman and transplanted them to a private pond I built on a ranch near Lyman, but the rancher's family caught all my fish, so that didn't work, I refused to re stock the pond after that. :angry4:

Hey scumbucket, careful what you're advertising, good luck on finding crappie up north. I've caught several in Fools Hollow on nightcrawlers fishing for walleye and not when it's warm outside.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:52 PM »
years ago g and f talked about putting small mouth in Lyman lake but there is some endangered species in the lake and US fish and wildlife would not let them stock the smallies if I remember right :dontknow:, to bad about the crappie appreciate you letting us know what happened and there is a good minnow base in there and many trees and brush for crappie to survive
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline scumbucket

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16 AM »
In Lyman Lake the Spinedace minnow is endangered and it has caused most of the streams in the white mountains to be kept for them, no more trout there either. As for advertising what I did moving the crappie, I got most from a private pond a rancher has that is so overstocked the fish are spall, he asked me to thin out his population so I did. His fish were not game and fish stocked, but he'd bought them, and then hasn't fished his two ponds much. Seems about all the game and fish is interested in up there is trout. In Lyman they stocked the Bass, and crappie, but when they added Pike, it was the end of the smaller pan fish. They even had walleye in there, but then drained the lake to work on the dam and headgate, all the walleye were sent downstream unfortunately. We did good on crappie there one summer. Unfortunately, Lyman has a mudd bottom, only structure is rocks on the shoreline..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal