Author Topic: Bass  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Skeeterpeter

Bass
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Does anyone think the enormous population of bass in Bartlett has an effect on the crappie population? There are enough bait fish in the lake but wouldn't the bass eat crappie if the chance would arise?
Wishin I was fishin.

Offline WheatThin

Re: Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I don't think the bass population impacts the crappie that much but bass will eat anything when hungry.  I do keep bass there though to eat to help thin out. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:58 AM »
SRP is what is effecting bartlett lake crappie population
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26 AM »
SRP is what is effecting bartlett lake crappie population

yeap

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16 AM »
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=7357

I doubt the bass get that big in Bartlett, but yea they will eat a crappie.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline The Desert Rat

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Bass will feed on small crappie--and---there are sooooooo many bass in Bartlett, I personally believe a problem is developing--many are dinks, maybe 1/2 pound, but there are hundreds and hundreds of them. As a minimum I believe this has a drastic effect on developing larger bass. The largest Bass I have seen in years is a 4 pound 9 oz recently caught off of SB Cove. However, this fish was the exception---many many 2 pounders being taken--I believe if --IF--SRP allows a decent spawn water level this year, bass feeding on small crappie will be a problem----I ma not educated on this subject, just my thoughts--

Offline Captain Jack

• Just one of the guys who loves to fish.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Bass do feed on Crappie.  Many years ago I was fishing the river end at Lake Pleasant in mid February for large fish.  That day my friend Dave caught 2 Bass over 10 pounds off the very same bed in heavy brush.  A third Bass over 10 pounds was found floundering on the surface with a 1.5 pound Crappie stuck in his gullet.  The fish were netted and the Crappie was dislodged.  Both fish were released in good condition.
Captain Jack

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal