Author Topic: What'll They Think of Next  (Read 12430 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
What'll They Think of Next
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:41 PM »
When is too much, too much?  Wanted to get your thoughts on this new Minn Kota trolling motor.  I can definitely see the advantages of all these really cool features but I also see the problems associated with all the moving parts that are ready to break, not to mention the circuitry involved to make this thing tick. 

I've read that the Terrova is one of the most reliable trolling motors out there.  Not sure how true that is but I've been wanting to upgrade my trolling motor to the Terrova for a while now as it has some great features I could really use.  But the 2007ish Minn Kota V2 that came with my boat is still churning away and my thoughts about a Terrova upgrade when my V2 craps out is in the very distant past.  Maybe that's the writing on the wall that the simple V2 is just that - simple being better??   :dontknow:

Here's a short video about Minn Kota's new trolling motor

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
Re: What'll They Think of Next
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I have the terrova and I really like the bells and whistles as well as the additional features that can be added to it. With that said, it's really a lot of circuitry and that scares me. I know that items with that much electronics built into it can really fail at any time and it comes at a high cost and which can't be fixed yourself. My old trolling motor, before it flew off the bow, was great. It broke down a few times but because it was mechanical I was able to fix it most of the time.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:16 AM »
to damn many swithes on the Terrova already I am continuously hitting the constant or other switch on that large foot pedal :angry4: I can imagine moving along and bumping the retract switch and having the TM come up and seat itself :o

as far as reliable my Terrova 12volt had warranty work twice in a little over a year, had the brushes replaced at 6 months then the drive rotating motor and gear drive replaced right after one year, then the slide pin broke that keeps the TM seated (replaced that part myself) soooooooooooooo that is a lot in 2yrs :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:30 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't buy the Ulterra. I see that, and all I can think of is dollar signs to fix it down the road. Is there even a way to deploy/retract it manually? I've had my Terrova for a little over a year and a half with zero issues.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I haven't had issues with the Terrova either.   My only other option was the Powerdrive V2 and I think I just wanted the ability to use the foot pedal in case the remote didn't work.  I've used the foot pedal in a few cases when my remote battery went dead.  I love using autopilot the most and occasionally use my Terrova with Humminbird to control tell the trolling motor to go to certain points or follow tracks.  I have used the follow the contour as well but not as often. 

I'd be weary of buying the first year model version of a trolling motor for sure.  2nd year and 3rd year much better.  I didn't look at the video to see all of the new features but you bet the more features mechanical battery operated means more chance of something breaking.  As much as I'd love a trolling motor that self deploys and undeploys from my chair (man that'd be nice) I'd have to have a proven record of years of someone owning it and trying it out before I'm the first.  I suppose though if that broke and the motor allowed for non-battery powered manual deployment like I do now, then perhaps worth the risk. 

Price difference would make a difference too.  I feel it's a bit crazy how much the trolling motor costs these days.  My thought would be with a new trolling motor model out there I would hope that would make the Terrovas better priced.  Who knows.  Perhaps they keep the Terrova's high priced and just make this newer model even more pricey.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I bought a Terrova with I-Pilot 2 years ago and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made for fishing. Problem is that all the really high end stuff that we sometimes have on our "wish list" are usually quite expensive.
As for the "what will they think of next" question and thoughts on this motor, here is a Facebook clip (the one backing the ranger in) https://www.facebook.com/hunter4fishing  that I found amusing, not sure I would do that if I didn't have someone to retrieve for me just in case!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:25 AM by cousinlll »
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:05 AM »
I bought a Terrova with I-Pilot 2 years ago and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made for fishing. Problem is that all the really high end stuff that we sometimes have on our "wish list" are usually quite expensive.
As for the "what will they think of next" question and thoughts on this motor, here is a Facebook clip (the one backing the ranger in) https://www.facebook.com/hunter4fishing  that I found amusing, not sure I would do that if I didn't have someone to retrieve for me just in case!

Now, that video shows something I had not even thought about. For those of us that single a lot, for sure a benefit.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 08:03 AM »
I hear a lot about the Minkota products but not a lot about the Motorguide TM's with similar features.  Anybody using Motorguide?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I tried that once at pleasant when I had someone with me told him to release the TM then just sit when I launched the boat and see if I could bring the boat to the dock, didn't work the hand held controller at least on my Terrova did not have the range(this was when the battery and unit were quite new) to do that and I don't think I was more than 30' away from the boat it took commands when it first came off the trailer but as it floated farther away it would only occasionally take a command and turn the TM etc. so if you are truly by yourself and no one else is launching especially on a breezy day you might not be happy?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal