Author Topic: Fishing Alamo 01/30 - 02/01  (Read 4291 times)

Offline MNMAN

Fishing Alamo 01/30 - 02/01
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:41 AM »
This will be the 1st time we've been to Alamo and we're looking for any guidance we can get. We'll be in a Toyhauler camper and have a 14' aluminum boat/15 HP motor, trolling motor and Humminbird 161. Is there anyplace to set up camp near the water so we can leave the boat in the water and beach it near camp? Does anyone have any suggestions about our camp / boat site?

If we can't launch from shore, we see that two ramps are closed and the one off of the old boat rental road is open. We can't find the old boat rental road on the map, can anyone tell us?

If minnows are recommended, are they available on the way in or at the lake?

We want to come home with a mess of crappie and know nothing about the lake or how to fish it. Any suggestions?

Thank you and we will give a complete report upon our return.

MNMAN

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
Re: Fishing Alamo 01/30 - 02/01
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:03 PM »
I have never dry camped at Alamo, but I see plenty of people camped on the bluff just above Cholla Rd and Camp area E. The area on the map looks accessible by Wickenburg Rd. Never been up there, so I do not know the condition of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2654768,-113.5643764,774m/data=!3m1!1e3

If in fact you could get to that area, I'm pretty sure you could probably leave your boat in the water.

If you are going to need hookups, then with the water level being down, the best place to camp is in Camp area B. We stayed in B13, which is closest to the lake launch. Plenty of space to park everything in one spot if needed (truck, boat, camper, another vehicle?) The current launch site is just beyond campsite A and B. Just follow that road to the lake. You could easily have your boat to and from the launch area from this campsite in 10 minutes or less.

Minnows are available at the store, but I would call ahead to confirm that for sure.

Send me a pm if you need any more info.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:20 PM by sparkchaser »
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Fishing Alamo 01/30 - 02/01
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I would also look into any needed permits to dry camp over there.  I could be wrong but believe it's BLM land which will required a permit.  When you call for minnow availability at the park store they will have more info about the required permits to dry camp adjacent to the park.

I believe access to that area is via Alamo Road turning off towards the Wayside Inn??  Others might know moreā€¦..

Be sure to lock up your valuables just in case.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:06 PM by cousinlll »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal