Author Topic: Alamo Lake 01-24-15  (Read 5922 times)

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
Alamo Lake 01-24-15
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Marvin and I launched around 9 am Saturday morning. There were a bunch of grebes feeding right near the launch area so we started just off the launch. Tried in that area for 30-45 minutes with no luck. Moved out to buoy line with the rest of the fleet (I think I counted 15 boats) I caught the first crappie about 10:15 on a chart. roadrunner bbc grub tipped with a minnow. Should of known better than to catch the first 1 and get mouthy with the boat captain. From that point on it was all about Marv catching and me getting to be the net guy. Ended up with 13 nice crappie and me only picking up 1 more fish. The buoy line was not producing much so we headed to the west end of the buoy line and north in that small cove. We trolled around there most of the day. The meal ticket for Saturday was black jig heads 1/16 oz no spinner no grub tipped with a minnow. Weird I know but it is what they wanted. 10 of the 13 fish were caught on this rig. Of the other 2 one was on a white 1/16 roadrunner no grub tipped with a minnow while the last fish was on a 1/16 red head no spinner tipped. We were trolling .75 mph with about 14' of line out in 28-30 feet of water.

Almost backed out of this trip due to weather report of wind 7-10 and gusting to 15 mph. We had almost calm conditions all day with the wind starting to kick up an hour before we bagged it. As others have mentioned what a nice thing to pull out of the water and up to a fish cleaning station to process the days catch and not have to deal with that after the 3 hour drive home.

Just a shout out to the club we plan to go to the Lake Alamo clean up. Nice fishery, with great amenities, and nice people in the tackle store that are friendly and actually smile and are helpful as they are taking your money. 

Offline azbohunter

Re: Alamo Lake 01-24-15
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Thanks for the positive report on Alamo! Sounds like a great day. Have one question though, "14 feet of line out". Is that correct? Unless you were spider rigging with some added weight that seems ahhh different?
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19 AM »
no spider rigging. Just a bullet weight above the swivel on the main line then a clip on the two rig set up. Approx. 18" between clip and first jig then another 18" to the bottom jig. On our 10' poles we let the line out to where the clip is about 4' feet below the handle of the rod. We fished many depths but the fish liked the shallow depth.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
great report did you have to park up on top in the paved lot or were you able to park down near the dirt ramp?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Just a bullet weight above the swivel on the main line

How heavy? And what are you running for a main line?

I usually run 6# braid but the only weight would be the weight of the jig or jigs that I am running, typically 1 1/16 ounce jig and a plain hook/minnow OR 2 1/32 jigs (about 18" apart) on about 4' of 6# mono or floro. I also use line counter reels so I don't have to count pulls. Lots of different ways to fish and some times only one presentation works!!!! Good job on the crappie!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Great report guys! 

Just a shout out to the club we plan to go to the Lake Alamo clean up. Nice fishery, with great amenities, and nice people in the tackle store that are friendly and actually smile and are helpful as they are taking your money

Nice!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Azbow, bullet weight I think is probably 1/4 oz. (pretty small) I also use braided line with 4 lb. mono for the leader.

Fishless, No problem parking in bottom lot even on the weekend probably 1/2 dozen spots left even during the prime time.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Sounds like San Carlos days....Nice catch fellas
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25 PM »
It was kind of like San Carlos days. Every boat had some action. I think we did better than most but not as good as a few others.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06 PM »
ON THE ROCKS
Thanks for the reply!
When I get there, soon I hope, I will post a report!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal