Author Topic: 1st trip to Alamo  (Read 5728 times)

Offline MNMAN

1st trip to Alamo
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:41 AM »

THIS IS A RE-POST OF MY MESSAGE UNDER CRAPPY QUESTIONS.  :director:

This will be the 1st time we've been to Alamo and we're looking for any guidance we can get. We'll be in a Toyhauler camper and have a 14' aluminum boat/15 HP motor, trolling motor and Humminbird 161. Is there anyplace to set up camp near the water so we can leave the boat in the water and beach it near camp? Does anyone have any suggestions about our camp / boat site?

If we can't launch from shore, we see that two ramps are closed and the one off of the old boat rental road is open. We can't find the old boat rental road on the map, can anyone tell us?

If minnows are recommended, are they available on the way in or at the lake?

We want to come home with a mess of crappie and know nothing about the lake or how to fish it. Any suggestions?

Thank you and we will give a complete report upon our return.

MNMAN

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: 1st trip to Alamo
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08 PM »
dirt ramp you continue on the road past the store/state office and it is below the big parking lot on main entrance, yes minnows available at store there (along with required camping permits) might call to make sure they have not run out of minnows. There used to be but with the lake so low now areas where you could pull up a trailer and camp and bring your boat up to shore but I am thinking most of those areas are out of water (the state parks office might now there at the lake). If there is any shoreline camping still around water the roads are pretty ruff going into the area and there is literally roads criss crossing everywhere you almost have to pre-drive the area to figure out how to get down to the water :dontknow:

look at the recent post by on the rocks good indication of what to do at alamo
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Thought we answered some your questions on the original post……  http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,2673.0.html

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:39 AM »
there is great camping at the park and minnows and some roadrunner jigs at the store. launching not an issue and the fishing has been trolling around the bouy line. look for other crappie fishermen and join on in.. ive never shore camped there but a quick trip to the store at the park will have a ranger or two in there to answer questions.

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58 PM »
So ya I was just their this past Sunday. They had plenty of parking and Camp spots still open. The road you want to boat ramp is Lakeview. Attached below are 2 pics that show the Ramp and Road. The Ramp is marked with red dot. The Lakeview Rd is labeled in the pic by me in yellow.
I personally would not leave my boat on shore. I have heard about items being stolen in the camp sites like generators and other various items. I would pull my boat out and bring it to camp site myself thou and try to avoid any stolen items. They did have minnows at store but with fishing being good out there I would call ahead to make sure. Wild Horse going to Lake Pleasant always has them. 

We ended Sunday with 9 nice Slabs. Every boat out there was catching Slabs Some more than others. We found most of our Slabs just south of the bouy line in 35 feet of water. The deepest we caught fish was 18 feet. We found them any where from 14' to 18'. Black Jigs seemed to be the best. We did catch some on bare hook and minnow thou. Water temp was 54. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:33 PM by ArZFisher »

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Good work ArZFisher.  Nice report. 

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06 AM »
Good report and pics ArZFisher!  They clearly show where the shore lauch area is that's just down the road a bit from Camp Area B & the general store.  I know MNMAN was looking for a place to dry camp & shore launch outside the park uplake a little bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal