Author Topic: Rain 01/30  (Read 8308 times)

Offline MNMAN

Rain 01/30
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Hello Folks,

I’m needing confirmation that my trip to Alamo this weekend would be a wasted trip due to the rain.

Do you agree?

My experience tells me not to go because of the rain but I’m quite anxious to make the trip and get my hands on some of the elusive AZ. Slabs!

Is there a support group for situations like this?

MNMAN  >:( :fish: :dontknow: :violent-smiley-007: :banghead: :angry4:

Offline sandman

Re: Rain 01/30
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I've done very well with green carp (bass) in the rain at Alamo. Crappie, not so much.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Isn't it suppose to clear up tomorrow sometime?  That'd be only thing is to review forecast for entire weekend.

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Tough question Byron!

Couple thoughts.....

I know you plan on dry camping lakeside east of the park.  Given it's your first time to the area I would reconsider that option and camp IN the park at a developed site like Camp Area B w/ electric.  Being off pavement in weather, especially not being familiar with the area, could be trouble in the making depending on how much rain that area has already received & the current forecast.  If you decide to go & stay in the park it'll give you a chance, weather permitting of course, to explore the area without trailer in tow.

Don't think it's going to happen with this current storm but there's been times the road(s) to Alamo have flooded over cutting off the park from access in or out for a bit.

Although better than it's been in the past, cell service can be spotty to nonexistence depending on where you are at.  Some cell carriers service is better than others.  Not the place you want to be stuck in the mud at.

And I've heard, not sure how true, that Alamo's Crappie are fair weather fish.  Take that for what it's worth, probably nothing but.......

So there's my worst case scenario thoughts.  On the other hand, plenty of times the weather forecasters have cried wolf and it ended up being a half way decent day   :dontknow: :greengrin:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:57 PM by cousinlll »

wadefisherman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:18 PM »
One of my best trips to Alamo was when it started raining. Go for it!

Offline MNMAN

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:53 PM »
We didn't make the trip for the wet weekend! I called the park and the fellow said that the crappie usually go flat for a couple of days following a front. They had had about an inch by late friday afternoon and expected another 1/2 inch before the storm passed.

We'll focus our energy on Bartlett this weekend and pick up our Alamo trip the following weekend.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, it is much appreciated.

Fish on!

MNMAN (Byron)   :3some:

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:51 PM »
The cover for my boat got destroyed on the trip home from Alamo last time so I am waiting on a cover which should be done by the end of this week, hopefully. If it gets done we will be headed back to Alamo dark and early Monday morning. Weather looks good all week so the water should warm up and the fish get nice and hungry by then.
GOD BLESS

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:16 PM »
With gas prices still kinda low will be back their this Saturday.  MNMAN if you going out ill be in a old 1960 Starcraft white with blue stripes Merc 25 hp on the back. Stop by and say hello im always willing to help people out when I can. Im gonna try some different areas early in morning but I wont be surprised if I end up near the bouy line where I caught the last 9. Anyways hope to see you out there. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 05:47 AM »
they got little rain at alamo lake came up a whopping 1/2"!! looks bad for that lake by this summer :crybaby2:

roosevelt came up 4+' and bartlett continues to drop :dontknow:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline MNMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Thank you Crappie Crew!

It would be nice to see you guys at Bart on Sat for the Feb meeting of the AZ. Crappie Fanatics! It'll be Boyd and my 2nd meeting and my significant other, Sally will be along with us. In fact we could use an invite for Sally as this will be her first meeting. I think we may go out Friday night and stay until Sunday morning.

I am looking forward to meeting each of you eventually and if you're at Alamo this weekend then the best of luck to you but leave us a few for the following weekend.

Fish on!

MNMAN (Byron)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal