Author Topic: Night Fishing and wind  (Read 7830 times)

Offline AZfisherdude

Night Fishing and wind
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Hey guys, nice site. It will be more fun when people start posting more :P I just started getting into crappie fishing this year. Been to SC twice. Did ok once and got skunked on the second trip. Anyways, I was wondering what wind speeds would you be ok fishing at night anchored up? I have a 14' aluminum v hull and was out on SC last Sunday when I shouldn't have been :lol_hitting: but we made it and you gotta learn somehow right?

So when the reports call for winds in the ______range with gust up to ___ fill in the blanks for saty home please. I am trying to get some opinions so as to avoid learning so much the hard way :D

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
Re: Night Fishing and wind
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I usually judge the wind at the lakes by the wind in town. If I have a small breeze in the back yard its more than likely blowing like hell at the lake. A small wind at one end of a lake is white caps at the other end, be careful with the wind.

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I use this website http://www.weather.com/ for my plans. Use Tonto Basin for Rosey, Carefree for Bartlett, Globe for San Carlos, etc.  These guys are very accurate most of the time. When it calls for double digits, I think twice about heading to a lake that day. It usually blows harder at most lakes.  I like being able to get the hour by hour forcasts. Now it comes in 15min. increments for a specific 24 hr period. You can see patterns of daytime wind versus afternoon winds but this year is kinda squirrly...but I still trust this site for good info. Hope this helps.

Careful out there, Joe

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:49 PM »
I'm currently working on a section for the website where it will display weather conditions for the big crappie lakes. Trying to find some decent looking free ones, but decent looking and free haven't been going together so well.

Offline Crowbait

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I usually just shut the door. Doesn't seem like I can get out anymore :sad3:

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43 PM »
I usually just shut the door. Doesn't seem like I can get out anymore :sad3:

+1

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I have noticed that the wind is almost always higher at the lakes too. Sometimes it is hard to say no to going out though :D I'll check out that link you provided HW, thanks.

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I have been using this site for the lakes lately. Seems to be pretty darn good for wind predictions. I like it because instead of using the city closest, you can pinpoint the actual lake.
Here is Bartlett
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=33.8580412278&textField2=-111.617934108

Offline Halibut Warrior

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04 PM »
fisherdude, that is the coolest weather site yet. google/noaa/earth. Yeah!  :sign0098:

thanks,Joe

Offline AZfisherdude

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:59 AM »
Ha ha, no problem. Glad to be able to contribute :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal