Author Topic: Bartlett fishing report 3/30/15  (Read 19245 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Bartlett fishing report 3/30/15
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Just a heads up, I heard a report SRP is releasing water out of Horseshoe again starting Monday.  That will probably screw the fishing up for a week, but hopefully not the spawn.

you called it right on the money, jack asses from SRP just started dumping horseshoe again yesterday to the tune of 3000cfs which will bring bartlett up about 3+' per day, right after a full moon with crappie trying to move up to spawn :angry4: :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline NavyVet

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:24 AM »
It seems there is no regard to the sports fisherman by SRP as long as as they get what they ned screw everyone else.  :angry4:

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22 AM »
Sheesh I'm getting tired of this.  How many times has the SRP messed up the crappie spawn at Bartlett?  There are only 3 decent crappie lakes left in this state.  This is should be a conservation issue.  Forget the fly catcher,  they can fly to a new spot, fish can't!!! :angry4: :angry4: :angry4:
Rocky

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30 PM »
This is funny. You guys sit here and bash SRP when really its not their fault. Have you not heard about the major droughts in Cali. Also we did not get a whole lot of rain this winter so probably has a little to do with. Also not everyone is a jack ass at SRP. My almost 70 year Grandmother works for them and probably some people who have joined this Forum.....

You say they have no regards to sports fisherman. We should be thankful they let us fish it really. Bartlett was designed to be Reservior. That water goes to more important things like irrigation and power.  They take what they need so we can use it at our homes.

I do understand that the timing of the water intake and outake has been kinda messed up past couple years. SRP can't control the weather and how much rain and snow pack we get.  Its a give and take deal. SRP can't just make it perfect every year for the fisherman. What are they supposed to tell people who need to irrigate their land and give water to their live stock etc.... ?  No fish need to spawn so you need to wait.

Again look at the big picture and might seem little more clear.

Offline 1953rocco

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00 PM »
kudos to arzfisher.......you hit the nail on the head about SRP. Since they managed the reservoirs for the bureau of reclamation, their primary duty it to provide water for agricultural and urban needs. it is not their responsibility to provide a perfect fishing habitat. everyone needs to deal with what takes place. and, yes, I worked for SRP for 36 years and recently retired.

They will switch to using water from the Salt system about June. it's been tat way for years. everyone should hope that it rains more as the reservoir systems are low and things could get worse in the future.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:33 AM »
1953rocco, ArZFisher
we know why SRP does what they do and we all have family and fish with friends that work for SRP. doesn't mean we still can't bitch about what they do.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37 AM »
This is funny. You guys sit here and bash SRP when really its not their fault. Have you not heard about the major droughts in Cali. Also we did not get a whole lot of rain this winter so probably has a little to do with. Also not everyone is a jack ass at SRP. My almost 70 year Grandmother works for them and probably some people who have joined this Forum.....

You say they have no regards to sports fisherman. We should be thankful they let us fish it really. Bartlett was designed to be Reservior. That water goes to more important things like irrigation and power.  They take what they need so we can use it at our homes.

I do understand that the timing of the water intake and outake has been kinda messed up past couple years. SRP can't control the weather and how much rain and snow pack we get.  Its a give and take deal. SRP can't just make it perfect every year for the fisherman. What are they supposed to tell people who need to irrigate their land and give water to their live stock etc.... ?  No fish need to spawn so you need to wait.

Again look at the big picture and might seem little more clear.

A lot of what happens at Bartlett has to do with:
The settlement SRP agreed to with the Federal Government several years ago to resolve the lawsuit over water level at Roosevelt Lake after completing construction of the new dam. Environmentalist filed suit to prevent raising the water level after completion of the dam (because of loss of habitat for the Flycather)  and the results were an agreement to maintain water levels at Horseshoe Lake to provide more habitat for the  "Flycather". It was a trade off!   (NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH ANY OF THIS, JUST THE WAY I REMEMBER IT)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:38 AM by azbohunter »
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline LIVE TO FISH:JIM

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I have also been disappointed with the Bartlett level fluctuations during the spawn the last few years. I seems we need a lobby group to try to make some changes in this. My suggestion would be some kind of a rotating schedule on which lakes get "drawn down during the spawn".
For instance, why not draw down Apache lake every 5th year from March 1 to May 15th, and try to stabilize levels in most other lakes on the chain. Then rotate it to another lake the next year, etc. After the spawn they can adjust to get the levels they like.

This may not always work with rainfall and other variables, but it appears there is no consideration at all, it just has to be Bartlett that suffers most years. I am new to this, but my engineering background says there should be options.  Thanks - Jim 

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40 PM »
http://archive.azcentral.com/members/Blog/ShaunMcKinnon/23616
This is just one of many articles that you can find by doing a Google search "Horseshoe Lake and the Flycatcher" or anything similar.
It explains quite a lot of why SRP does certain things. NOT ALL when it comes to water levels and draw downs etc but from the environmentalist argument, they would like even more restrictions. By the way, crappie do not qualify as a native fishes, LOL.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal