Author Topic: Roosevelt 4/17-18 - Not much  (Read 7575 times)

Offline Papermouth

Roosevelt 4/17-18 - Not much
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Tuesday 4/14, boat is finally outboard-powered again for the first time in over a year. I'm ecstatic!

Friday 4/17 - Hit the Tonto end of the lake on the way to SCF. Wanted to rule it out. I did. Trolled various jig-grub-minnow combinations for a couple hours and did not get a tap.
Moved to the Salt end. Picked a camp for SCF and back on the water. Did lots of testing/motoring around from Schoolhouse to Salome, mainly graphing previously fished areas since I hadn't visited Roosevelt since last April. Was great to be able to run around the lake again. Stopped and fished in 4 locations, total of 4 hours or so of fishing, did not get bit.

Saturday 4/18 - Derby day. Without much, ok with nothing to go on, I decided to stick it out in the open water south/east of the buoy line. 8:45AM, a tap. Fed some line, tapped again, fed another 3 feet of line and went for the hook set on confirmation of contact. Put the 11" crappie in the boat. BBC on Chart Roadrunner trolling .9 MPH about 6 feet down. I spent a lot of time in the sticks and fishing shallow and could not entice a strike. Finally about 1:15PM, hours without a bite and after ruling out a lot of my goto bait options, I went to F-it mode and got in the channel that runs across the Grapevine launch area, fed out a TON of line until I was dragging bottom, 3 cranks up on the reel and 10 minutes later, another 11" fish. BBC on blue jighead. Could not duplicate that approach when the wind picked up just after the fish. Didn't have a lot of choice but to let the wind blow me east across the open water for the last hour of fishing. I had one faint strike that I set the hook on but the small resistance came undone. Ended the day with 2 dinks and 1 miss. Nor myself or wife had good solid strike all day.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline cval2300

Re: Roosevelt 4/17-18 - Not much
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Very Nice Report, Thank you! I wished you would have caught more fish though. I'm sure you are thinking the same thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal