Author Topic: Any report?  (Read 12172 times)

Offline azbohunter

Re: Any report?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Good luck Rocko, I have been thinking of making a trip to there myself but not sure it is going to happen!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 03:48 PM »
SRP has slowed down releases out of Bartlett and started releasing from saguaro lake :dance: soooooo the crappie may be getting a little more settled in with the lake dropping so much slower :dontknow: I may give it a try next week
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Good luck Rocko, I have been thinking of making a trip to there myself but not sure it is going to happen!

Thanks at this point I need luck, because skill is not working!  I graphed thousands of them a month ago, so I know they are there.
Rocky

Offline ArZFisher

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:51 PM »
I was out their Yesterday. Not a nibble all morning.  I got their around 5 am went to all the good spots nada. Lots of fish but just kept catching little Gills. Gave up around 10:30am for some flathead fishing. Anyways lake was 72 degrees in morning and 76 degrees at 2 pm when I left. Shad are starting their spawn. They all over the banks early in the morning also saw some gills up in the shallows. No debris in water to watch out for just the usual garbage people leave behind( DONT TRASH AZ!!!). All the good spots up river are still under water with lots of fish in all the brush.  I was using minnows, jigs and all kinds of combinations and depths. Ill be out their this Saturday night thru Sunday morning.  Good luck out their !!!

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Maybe they don't need to eat because they are reabsorbing their eggs from not spawning.  I wonder if that process gives them energy?  Anyone know?  :dontknow:
Rocky

Offline Rocko

• ahhhh
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 07:25 AM »
I think I found the answer, they do use their own eggs for energy when they don't spawn.  Which is maybe why they don't need to feed so much.  I found this on a forem online by a guy called crappiepappy.    I think this is what has been happening to Bartlett

The fish don't "decide" when "they're ready" to spawn ... water temps decide it for them. Absorption of the eggs can & does occur when the water temps get too high before the fish have a chance at spawning (or finish spawning). This has been observed at Fish Hatcheries, according to biologist Dr Hal Schramm (Crappie Now article Apr 2013).

So technically it's not JUST "by the time the fish are ready to spawn" ... but, before/during/after attempts have been made & conditions have thwarted those attempts long enough for the water temps to get so high that the eggs wouldn't survive ... that the fish would absorb the eggs. Their survival instinct tells them that it's better to put that protein back into their own body, than to make futile attempts at dropping them in water that's too warm for much of a chance for survival of the offspring.

Now, they will keep trying ... and when conditions change quickly, it can devastate the spawn. It's just those times where things happen in just such a way that the water gets too hot, too quick, and the fish don't all respond to the narrow window of opportunity to spawn, that some may not spawn (or drop ALL their eggs during that period). Those eggs will be absorbed back into the fish, so as to not waste their food value (protein).

That potential ... for conditions to not be normal or optimal for spawning ... is one reason why most spawns take place over a period of several weeks, rather than just a few days. So many things can interrupt the spawn, so not all of them try to spawn at the same time or at the exact same water temp. The more interruptions, the more chance the water temps have of getting past the safe range, and keeping the fish from spawning or finishing their spawning ... those fish will absorb whatever eggs remain.
Rocky

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal