Author Topic: Batteries and the options  (Read 11069 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Re: Batteries and the options
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Your Opti is going to require a specific CCA (or MCA marine cranking amps for marine batts) size battery, just as mine does.  I believe my 175 requires a min of 800 CCA but your owners manual should tell you.  There possibly could be a placard on compartment lid where your starting battery is located that says what the required min battery CCA requirement is.

I've been using Interstate since boat purchase and get the usual AZ battery life of 3 or 4 years.  I do keep up on the h20 and they are always on charge via my 3 bank onboard Dual Pro charger.  Minn Kota does have a product to add to your battery h20 that I do think extends your battery life a bit, for what that's worth.  I've also read that when replacing your TM batteries to always change them out in pairs.

I believe all 3 of my batts are Interstate SRM-29s.  Boat came with SRM-27s but wanted a little more run time so I went up a group size to the 29s.  I'd recommend getting the biggest group size for both applications you can afford, especially for your TM.  Also with todays electronics and everything else you'll have hooked up to your house (starting) battery nowadays bigger the group size the better off you'll be.  Your battery tray size might determine the biggest battery group size you can get without changing out the tray.  Don't you just hate it when you turn your ignition switch to start and there's nothing but silence..... and you hope it's just your kill switch lanyard that came off!   

I'm not a fan of Walmart period but their EverStart MarineMaxx in group size 29 might be an option and others have mentioned that they are possibly a good "bang for your buck".  Also read good things about the Sears Platinum series batteries.  But if you have the coin to spend, go with the new lithium batteries as folks on BBC Bass Boat Central have been chatting about lately.  Sticker shock on these babies!

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 03:16 PM »
I've been using Interstate.... 
I do keep up on the h20 and they are always on charge via my 3 bank onboard Dual Pro charger... 
...I've also read that when replacing your TM batteries to always change them out in pairs.

Same here, like father, like son!!!  :violent1:

great info
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:34 PM »
LOL that was a great story.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 03:39 PM »
LOL that was a great story.

This has got to be some inside joke that I'm not getting.   :dontknow:

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:54 PM »
I have had terrible luck with interstate tm batteries but I fish normally couple times a week but they just don't last more than 8 months and they are nothing, have used the walmart everystart yellow top battery and they do better but their warranty went from 3yrs to 1 yr so researching batteries I found the duracall battery (made by east penn) the same people that make the Deka tm battery that is the best rated now but are high $$ many battery companies have been bought out by Johnson controls? I hear now the blue top Optima is not what it used to be and they are high priced and were bought out? Anyway I think they sell the duracell at Costco or Sams club I actually got mine at batteries plus which used to be high priced in general but with the rebate was the same as walmart series 29 and this thing is heavy I got the series 31 which is the same physical size as the 29 but heavier plates and longer lasting so far after my walmart battery took a dump at alamo in great fishing but with wind I have put this duracell through the test it went the entire day at alamo and never went below 1/2 on the battery meter same at pleasant chasing boils and I purposely have put the t.m. on full speed and moved around the lake for quite a long time and the battery still has not gone below 1/2 power and it takes a great charge which tells me it is coming back to full strength.
Louis on your opti max mercury if the batteries amps are just a little low the engine will crank like normal and won't start they are very sensative to any voltage/amperage that is the slightest bit below full voltage.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06 PM »
you  definitely need a high capacity starting battery for you Optimax I have run many including my current 250 XS see the info below it may be of some help and for good Mercury info see the BBC.com site this info comes from.....                                                                                                                                                            "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT"- Updated 3/15

Ok guys:

This data was provided by Mercury Marine's R&D Department.

Although these batteries were tested for use with the Verado Engines, their superior Reserve Capacity Ratings would make them an EXCELLENT choice for Optimax or EFI engines used in a Bass Application!

The batteries listed are ALL AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries, and were required to meet at least one of the following ratings:

-1000 MCA
 -800 CCA
 -180ah*, or meet the 135-RC 25 Capacity Rating.

*For Optimax models, this rating would be 105ah (and this rating is SELDOM used in the US- recommend using CCA Ratings).

Batteries were tested to ensure that they "met" their advertised capacities also.

All of the batteries listed are heavy- and they are not cheap. However... if you want something you can depend on... a wise investment!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 (Testing and information courtesy of Mercury Marine Research & Development)

-Odyssey PC1500, PC1700, PC2150 and PC2250.
 -Optima Group 31
 -West Marine Sea Volt Group 31 AGM (Edited due to change in capacity of Grp 27).
 -Cabela's ** (REMOVED as new-updated specifications indicate they do not meet requirements- See notes below- did not meet advertised Capacity Ratings).
 -Trolling Thunder TT1175 and TT1370.
 -Excide Megacycle (Mercury Brand) MC-31 and XMC-31.
 -Sears Die Hard Platinum 34M (PM-2) and 31M (PM-1).
 -Deka Sea Mate/Intimidator 8A31DTM.

** During initial testing, these batteries do not meet their advertised cranking ratings. Later published ratings support this (they do not meet the requirements).
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although these batteries were tested for use with the Verado Engines, their superior Reserve Capacity Ratings would make them an EXCELLENT choice for Optimax or EFI engines used in a Bass Application!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

STRONGLY RECOMMEND the installation of a CLAMP-STYLE battery terminal on most of these batteries. This gives you a THREADED connection, that is CLAMPED to the largest/strongest connection point the battery has to offer (and often prevents MANY problems that can creep up down the road).

Example:

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT"- Updated 3/15-marineterminal.jpg

Make ALL connections to the terminal as described below:

Battery terminal connections should be installed ENGINE CABLE FIRST, remaining lugs "Largest to Smallest", and finish off the connection with a Stainless Locknut (do NOT use wing-nuts).

BEFORE INSTALLING A NYLOCK NUT ON A BATTERY TERMINAL: IT SHOULD BE PRE-THREADED ONTO A SUITABLE BOLT FULLY, AND REMOVED FROM THE BOLT (to ensure nylock is pre-threaded, and no abnormalities exist in the nut).

Failure to follow this step MAY result in damage to the threaded terminals inside the battery (and subsequent intermittent or total failure of the battery to charge or perform properly).

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members

wadefisherman

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 08:56 PM »
I put optima so, 31 all the way around. They are pretty awesome. Never lack power for anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal