Author Topic: MinnKota Quick Release Brackets  (Read 3694 times)

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
MinnKota Quick Release Brackets
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Since I'm in the middle of overhauling my Triton's interior, I figure it's time to remove the 2x8 I'm using as my trolling motor mount as well (it's gonna be so sad to let her go  :3some: ).

Because the boat is also a ski boat and has an awkward bow making it difficult to get a tarp over it, I think having the ability to quickly release the trolling motor is my best option. Does anyone out there have a release they they use for their boats? I have the Terrova and have been looking at the MKA-21 and MKA-16-02 as my options. Do any of you have experience with either or these, or any other quick release mounts?

Offline SteveJ

Re: MinnKota Quick Release Brackets
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I have one on my Lund 1660. I need to remove the trolling motor in order to put the traveling cover on.
An added bonus is that now I have a pontoon and can easily move the trolling motor from one boat to the other.

Offline sandman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I use the MKA 21. Works well and you can lock it if you want.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:13 PM »
After what happened to my last trolling motor I've been really hesitant to get anything that isn't literally bolted down to the boat, but I feel that I really need the quick release ones so I can get the tarp over the boat. I don't want to have to pay to have the upholstery done again!

After I originally posted this I got thinking about why I had to use the 2x8 in the first place and it dawned on me that I have to have it hang over the bow of the boat or the trolling motor won't drop. I have a really odd shape to the bow so a standard mount doesn't work. With that in mind, I think I might have to go with the MKA-16-02 (or some other sliding mount) because I'll have to get it over the edge. I really wanted the MKA-21 because it's very low profile, but I just don't think it will work.

Does anyone here have experience with the MKA-16-02 or any kind of quick release sliding mount? I want to make sure I get something that can be taken off, but still locked down when being used.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 06:24 AM »
when this POS terrova dies I am going to get the motorguide pin point unit and I plan to put the quick release on as I have bumped the terrova several times on the dock because it hangs out over the bow so bad. I saw a post on one of the fishing websites where a guy had a quick release mount and a sliding mount that would bring the TM back behind the front of the boat?

Since you had the bad experience with the TM damage you could incorporate a tie down strap on the removable mount to secure it when underway down lake?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal