Author Topic: Summer Boat Maintenance  (Read 11990 times)

Piscolli

Summer Boat Maintenance
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:50 AM »
For many of us July and August are just too hot to fish the desert lakes by day, and night fishing with the threat of monsoon storms being out the wimp in some of us, like me. But fall is right around the corner and you know what that means, beautiful clear days and open water Crappie fishing!

So this is a great time of year to go through your boat and trailer to ensure that everything is up to par, your safety gear is good and everything is organized. Start at the bow and finish at the stern.

Boat first:
1)   Trolling motor prop shaft is free of anything fishing line or debris
2)   Cleats are fastened tightly
3)   Electronics and wiring are good to go
4)   Floor is good and free of soft spots (been there), hooks and other debris
5)   If you have a windshield make sure its secure and free of cracks
6)   All your gauges are working properly
7)   Steering and throttle linkages are good
8)   Seats are secure
9)   Engine fluids are good
10)   Engine starts easily and idles good
11)   Fuel is fresh
12)   Fuel line and tank are tight and free of links
13)   Batteries and cables are secure and holding a charge
14)   Lower unit has fresh fluids and impeller
15)   Prop is good and prop shaft is free of fishing line or debris

Then go through your trailer:
1)   Winch and strap are secure and in good working condition
2)   Runners and/ or rollers are working and free of damage
3)   Tires and spare are aired up and in good condition
4)   Axles and bearings are properly lubed
5)   All lights are functional
6)   All welds are good

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it will ensure you have a safe and hassle free fall season. Iím sure I missed something so please chime in with the things you check on your rig.

I hope to see all of you at the Bob Hirsch Crappie Classic the second weekend of October at Alamo. Here is a link with more info: http://www.azcrappie.com/forum/index.php/topic,2941.0.html

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Boat Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Your more than welcome to come over and start on my boat today. It's only going to be a 115* + out I'll be at a appreciation diner in side. 

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Thanks Bill for the reminder.  I just started mine and let her run for a bit. 

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Your more than welcome to come over and start on my boat today. It's only going to be a 115* + out I'll be at a appreciation diner in side.

what do you pay?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 11:56 AM »
If it is been a year recommend you pull wheels physically ck bearings and replace rear seal and new bearing grease
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Had all of that done already to include new batteries!  Looks like I'll be in the market for new tires, I noticed that one of them had a bubble in the sidewall on the trip back from Bartlett last week.  Any recommendations?

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:52 AM »
Had all of that done already to include new batteries!  Looks like I'll be in the market for new tires, I noticed that one of them had a bubble in the sidewall on the trip back from Bartlett last week.  Any recommendations?

Discount has switched back to carlilse tires and I am not impressed having the same problems I did when they were using them several years ago,
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:54 AM »
Brent over at Performance marine had told me some time back with this terrible alcohol fuel either have your tank completely empty or completely full because of water condensation it can cause or make sure you have a good fuel stabilizer in your fuel tank if your boat is going to sit for "any" length of time.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Bruce, I am thinking I am going to stick with the Goodyear Marathons.  Do you know anyone who sells them in the valley?

Piscolli

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Bruce, I am thinking I am going to stick with the Goodyear Marathons.  Do you know anyone who sells them in the valley?

Mac, from what I've heard they are spendy but very good tires,

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Piscoli,

That's what I have on my trailer right now and they are the original tires from when I bought the boat in 2007.  I can't be happier with them and I have not had any issues with them.  Even though the spare has never seen the road I'll be replacing it also.  So I figure about $400 to get it done. 

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Do not forget to check the date on your fire extinguisher also the amount of life vest in your boat.

Offline craigm

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Do not forget to check the date on your fire extinguisher also the amount of life vest in your boat.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  You should check the date of manufacture on the trailer tires before you agree to have them installed . you should also check the date on your existing tires . check out this info,   http://www.rense.com/general82/timeb.htm   , Most tire failure is due to old age and improper care ( inflation level to low and over loaded over weight trailer  ) , next comes anything made in China ( good year has stopped manufacturing Marathons in china check before you buy trouble . as I stated before I have 6 trailers 5 have carlisiles no problems with any of them none are kept more than 5 years . Also check manufacturers recommendations eg  Goodyear says for trailer tire at highway speeds over 65 mph inflate an additional 10 lbs . Lots of good info on trailer tires on BBC.com and Walleyecentral.com

Piscolli

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Good stuff fellas, thank you.

Offline sandman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:48 AM »
I have had good luck with Marathons (pre-China) and Carlisles.