Author Topic: Crappie Biting Time of Day  (Read 7445 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Crappie Biting Time of Day
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:18 PM »
All right experts, what's the best time of day to catch crappie here in AZ during the winter?  I've had a few trips up to Roosevelt where I got there a 1 to two hours past sun up.  Am I missing prime time?  I've always heard fishing at dawn is the best time for many types of fishing but man it's tough getting up that early in the morning to drive the 2 hours to the lake.  I wanted to know if you are catching most of yours that early in the morning or when.  Also, the flotilla at Roosevelt Lake is probably its largest by mid-morning and then really reduced in size by 1-2pm.  Is crappie fishing not as good in mid-afternoon and if I were actually able to stay later, would there be an increase in the bite at dusk? 

wadefisherman

Re: Crappie Biting Time of Day
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:58 PM »
1st light seems to be the best time to get them when trolling. Sometimes the bite can be better in the afternoon, you just never know.

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52 AM »
That Rosey bite can be very early right now. The first hour or so is the best, then it seems to really slow down if not stop. However, in the past I have done real well at Rosey and especially Bartlett from about 3 pm to dusk.

Offline Stevert

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Generally, the earlier you get there, the better off you are.  That's the way Alamo was for us so far.   

Offline Southern_Pride

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I caught six at Rosey this past Saturday. All were caught at the bouyes next to schoolhouse between 0700 and 0900. Trolling between .7 and 1mph.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....
It's learning how to dance in the rain.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I was at Rosey yesterday at 730. Didnt get a bite until almost 10, then landed 3 within 15 minutes. I saw Art and Dick troll right by me and pop 5 right off the same spot I had been within about 4 minutes. BTW I'm Art's good luck charm, so he said... Of course after all the action boats swarmed and it slowed back down. I think it all depends on the pressure the fish are getting. They are there for the taking, but there have been a lot of boats out there spinning their wheels trying to find them.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Great info guys.  It sounds like in general, earlier is better and I can just get up earlier and get out there on sun-up.  If it's a day trip, I'll probably leave by mid-afternoon and miss the evening times but if I do an overnight trip, then I'll take the opportunity to hit the evening time. 

I can't say on my trips that earlier has been better and sounds like sparkchaser had better luck later in the morning, but perhaps he just hit the right spot.

Thanks for the info.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11 PM »
i too am concerned about having to leave town by 5 to launch at 7. and its  my bumble opinion that crappie are like trout and wait for the sun to warm things a couple hours before going active. of course if yer not there you dont know what you missed.

Offline desertdingo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:41 PM »
i was there two weeks ago and only had one early.  stayed all day pounding the water then headed to schoolhouse around dusk got 6 n 30 min.  who knows?  early bird late bird as long as there is fish on the boat its allllll good! :icon_jokercolor:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal