Author Topic: Prescott area fisheries  (Read 5362 times)

Offline CrappiePappy

• Hi I'm CrappiePappy, and I'm A-FISH ON-ADO
Prescott area fisheries
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:14 AM »
Howdy folks!
Wondering if anyone has any input on the Crappie fishery up here in Prescott area lakes. I am a resident of Prescott of 3yrs and fish these lakes on regular basis due having a lot of time on my hands being physically retired.  I know Watson has some. I found one big slab drifting belly up while targeting bass. There was a major fish die off over 10 yrs ago after they drained the lake after it switched hands of ownership. It also happened to Gold Water too. I haven't yet seen any Crappie in the other lakes up here. Knowing there is no real bait fish like shad. Minnows and fry is all about we got up here. I consider my self a Die Hard fisherman. These impoundments are TOUGH to fish if your are being target specific. Easy with Trout and Catfish knowing they have stocking schedules. Water levels fluctuate drastically when monsoon season comes around due to flood control. It changes fishing dynamics Reel Quick! Comerants are notorious up here too. They outfish the Eagles, Ospreys, and Herons and fisherman alike. Input is GREATLY APPRECIATED. TIGHT LINES FOLKS!
Be a good steward and teach kids & adults the ropes of the outdoors. Build solid conservationists one person at a time.

Piscolli

Re: Prescott area fisheries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Don't shop for a new Chevy at a Ford lot. If there are no shad and no numbers of Crappie caught, I'd focus somewhere else. Alamo is about 4 hours from you and Bartlett is about 3. I know its a haul but they are both Crappie Lakes and should produce for you once you learn the lakes a little. Alamo is doing well right now.

Offline CrappiePappy

• Hi I'm CrappiePappy, and I'm A-FISH ON-ADO
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Thank you for your response Piscolli. Im just dissapointed or spoiled better said, as to how AZFG stocks fish up here. For the amount of lake surface acreage they put a few hundred pounds of fish. Usually from 200-500# as I have personally talk to agents doing the stocking. Is it a logistics a costly issue?  Comerants are by far very agressive feeders. I have asked AZGF officers if the bird is protected,  or can be hunted. Officers said they are protected by the migratory bird act. And it will take an act of Congress to get a ruling to favor a hunt for the Comerant. And that note why not get more fish species planted. Knowing its lacking. Most impoundments are used mostly for city water, and irrigation. From a Recreational fishing standpoint it very lacking too.
Be a good steward and teach kids & adults the ropes of the outdoors. Build solid conservationists one person at a time.

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58 PM »
There are some lakes in the Williams area about 1.5 hours north of Prescott that have crappie.  However the crappie are a bit smaller there as opposed to our desert impoundments like Alamo or Bartlett. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:49 PM »
think it was about 3 yrs ago g and f gill netted and electro shocked Watson lake and got an incredible number of smaller crappie up in their nets etc. They probably grow slow in that lake due to forage but by now they should be catchable size
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal