Author Topic: Decent Boat Covers  (Read 14816 times)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Decent Boat Covers
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  I don't plan on trailering with it ever.  Only reason I did on that Powell trip was heavy rain issues on that trip.  We got hail and sleet.  I do have a shade canopy that covers the area my boat is parked so that helps as well.  As far as parking it in the garage, woodworking tools take up half the garage already :-(

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Regardless of brand, the weak point for most covers is the nylon straps.  When I buy a new cover the first thing I do is use "Plastic Coat" and spray all nylon straps to give them an extra layer of protection from the sun.  The straps will be a little stiff at first but will last at least as long as the cover.  I do the same with bungee cords.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Regardless of brand, the weak point for most covers is the nylon straps.  When I buy a new cover the first thing I do is use "Plastic Coat" and spray all nylon straps to give them an extra layer of protection from the sun.  The straps will be a little stiff at first but will last at least as long as the cover.  I do the same with bungee cords.

That's a really good idea! That always seems to be the first thing that I have a problem with on my covers. I might have to go find a can and spray it on my straps.

Is there a specific brand or store you buy it from?

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Home Depot in the paint section, I believe.  It's used to coat tool handles and comes in 2 or 3 basic colors.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 07:43 AM »
the sunbrella was the best ive had and it was pricey. it lasted about 5 years and it was not snug fit for travel just a sun shade but it remained watertight. I went cheaper last time I think cabells and its lasted three years but it lost its waterprooffing long ago and is just a sun shade. and not much of one of those now.
matt at one point I bought a system of ropes and pole and platform that ran from tip to tail with the platform makina a tent type deal to support your boat coaver. it takes up a lot of room in my garage if you want it Brenda especially but me too would like you to have it. let me know its just too much fuss for me to bother.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10 AM »
the sunbrella was the best ive had and it was pricey. it lasted about 5 years and it was not snug fit for travel just a sun shade but it remained watertight. I went cheaper last time I think cabells and its lasted three years but it lost its waterprooffing long ago and is just a sun shade. and not much of one of those now.
matt at one point I bought a system of ropes and pole and platform that ran from tip to tail with the platform makina a tent type deal to support your boat coaver. it takes up a lot of room in my garage if you want it Brenda especially but me too would like you to have it. let me know its just too much fuss for me to bother.
Thanks Tom for the offer!  I only have one problem spot and it's the back where I don't have a chair.  It sounds like the platform you're offering is a bit more than I want to mess with.  I made some structures out of PVC for my last boat but sadly I sold them with the boat I should have kept them.  Very easy to make so I think I may need to make 1 for this boat.  Sunbrella seems like the good brand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal