Author Topic: Drop Shot for Crappie  (Read 14453 times)

Offline TimS

Drop Shot for Crappie
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:44 PM »
What does a double hook vertical line drop shot rig for crappie look like?  Do you tie the hook like a bass drop shot?  What type, size, hook?  What size weight do you use for .8 to 1.0 mph trolling?  Thanks for all the help and I hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey day. :)

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: Drop Shot for Crappie
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:24 PM »
My 2 cents... other opinions may vary.  I think most folks here who make them like the weight on the bottom like this picture:
http://www.bulletweights.com/Portals/0/_product-images/mr-crappie/double-down-crappie-rig.png

However I think I've mostly seen the hooks go out 6-10" instead of 2" like shown on that picture.  You have to get the lengths correct otherwise they'll tangle up.  Some tutorials are more geared towards catfish or other fishing where you can use heavy mono line and that keeps those lines with the hooks more straight out and not tangled.  I used smaller pound test so the line length makes more of a difference at least for me.  Some people swear to that loop knot to prevent tangles.

The one I use is a Capps and Coleman rig and that has the weight in the middle between the top hook and bottom hook. 

You may think.... why not use those old fashioned crappie rigs with the metal twisted thing and red beads?  Those would provide water resistance and force you to use more weight to keep your lure vertical.  You want as little water resistance as possible.

At 0.8-1MPH, I would think you'd want at least 1oz.... maybe 3/4oz would work but I don't think your lines wouldn't be vertically down.  May have others' opinions on weights for sure.  You want your line straight down so you know your exact depth and you want it as far from the front of the boat as possible.  I tested this having the same double rig on a 16' pole off the front and another just down the side of the boat with a short pole.  The 16' won both days.  I've used 1 1/2oz before and then able to speed up my boat beyond 1MPH. 

Less knowledgeable on hook size I bought them awhile back and not sure their size. 

Offline TimS

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Thanks so much Oneblade.  My Son-in-Law and I plan on going to Alamo Tuesday and Weds. I will let you know how we do.

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:04 PM »
For spider-rigging a drop-shot I use the one Lotsaluck showed me. I put two hooks on the line facing the rod tip, then tie on my weight (usually 3/4 ounce). Then I go up 18 inches to two foot and tie my lower hook on with a loop knot. I then go two foot above the lower hook and tie on my upper hook, also with a loop knot. You want the weight to be sometimes touching the structure but not the hooks. Works for me........Art

Offline TimS

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Thank you Art for the information, gives me some more to try will let you know how our Alamo trip goes.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:13 AM »
I tie mine just as the picture OneBlade has with a few modifications. I make my loop knots to be about 4 inches. I use 6# floro with #4 red owner mosquito hooks. I also tie another smaller loop knot onto the top in lieu of a swivel. I try to keep spacing between all components about 18 inches. I use 10# braid on my main line with a snap swivel on the bottom. That way I can pre tie rigs at home, and if they break I can just hook another one on. I use 1 oz weights on the bottom 90% of the time. If I keep missing light bites, I'll swap out to 3/4 oz.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:28 AM »
One little trick is to keep in mind is using at least 10lb line (mono, flouroclear, fluorocarbon) for your rigs.  The 10lb line is stiff enough to keep the loop knots away from the main line thus keeping it from getting tangled and keeping your minnow more lively!  I've used everything under 10lb and found that the 10lb works the best.  I can tie the whole rig just as quickly as getting a pre tied one out and tying it to the main line.  I also use a loop knot for the sinker so I can switch weights easier if the situation calls for it.

Offline whaler

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 09:52 AM »
for the loop knot i use the Wally Marshall Knot.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05 AM »
I can tie the whole rig just as quickly as getting a pre tied one out and tying it to the main line.  I also use a loop knot for the sinker so I can switch weights easier if the situation calls for it.
I don't know how you do it.  It takes me so long to tie these I just am not that fast.  I dread tying these as it takes up an entire evening.

Offline sandman

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I can tie the whole rig just as quickly as getting a pre tied one out and tying it to the main line.  I also use a loop knot for the sinker so I can switch weights easier if the situation calls for it.
I don't know how you do it.  It takes me so long to tie these I just am not that fast.  I dread tying these as it takes up an entire evening.

Leroy showed this at one of the Bass Pro seminars once. Less than a minute, total rigging time. He said that as a guide, he had to be quick as his clients kee getting snagged and break off.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal