Author Topic: 5 Dec 15  (Read 6482 times)

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
5 Dec 15
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Made it out to Alamo again today and did fairly well compared to others that were out there, on the water by 0700 and off by 1130.  Dropshotting in 28-35 FOW and 12-16' of line out going .3-.5 mph seemed to work for me today, everyone else was long-lining and going much faster. Left the lake with 10 and missed a few that will be caught again!  I had 8 fish by 1000 and scratched out the last hour and a half with just two fish to show for it.  Had to get home to watch the Gators play, should have stayed at the lake!  Saw Bill and Tom out there as well, they had a third in the boat but I didn't recognize him.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: 5 Dec 15
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:36 AM »
Lake very busy Mac as far as parking etc at the gravel launch?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Assuming you live somewhere in the valley IAMMAC, I call that true determination. Turn around trip to Alamo is tough for my aging body anymore and if I am going to do it I am going spend the entire day on the water :)
Sorry about the Gator' loss considering you gave up the afternoon bite to watch it!!!
Good job on the slabs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:40 AM by azbohunter »
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Lake very busy Mac as far as parking etc at the gravel launch?

Bruce, I was there at 0700 so I had my choice of parking, when I left there were maybe 10 vehicles parked there.  Parking is definitely not an issue if you get there early.  I did see 3 different flocks of something cruising down the eastern side of the lake.  I could tell that they were ducks but couldn't tell what kind.  I also heard multiple shots through out the morning and saw a guy cove hopping.   

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Assuming you live somewhere in the valley IAMMAC, I call that true determination. Turn around trip to Alamo is tough for my aging body anymore and if I am going to do it I am going spend the entire day on the water :)
Sorry about the Gator' loss considering you gave up the afternoon bite to watch it!!!
Good job on the slabs.

AZ, I live in the west valley and do trips like that all the time!  No point in staying on the lake if the fish are not biting, plus I get bored very easy.  I've gotten to Alamo and been on the road by 1000 multiple times.  If the fish are not biting, no point in hanging around.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:52 PM »
I live on the west side too but if I drive to Alamo I make a day out of it. Stubborn old man I guess ;D
Gonna try it tomorrow matter of fact!
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Good luck and let me know how you do.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 05:02 AM »
Good job on the slabs.

I am the same way don't know what it is about Alamo drive, I live in north Phx. and the drive to Roosevelt is only like 15-20 mins less than going to Alamo but I can hit rosy and turn around and drive home and feel fine I take that drive to Alamo then return in the evening and I am beat
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Good job on the slabs.

AZ, I live in the west valley and do trips like that all the time!  No point in staying on the lake if the fish are not biting, plus I get bored very easy.  I've gotten to Alamo and been on the road by 1000 multiple times.  If the fish are not biting, no point in hanging around.

This for you IAMMAC :violent1:
Hit the lake at 8 yesterday morning, 1 other rig parked at the boat launch, 2 or 3 small boats fishing buoy line and trees. Did the same thing I usually do starting out around 35 feet and fished and fished and fished. I tried different setups, different areas and after returning to original area and setup I boated my first slab at 3:05 :lol_hitting: Now just think, if I would have gone home at 10 I never would have caught that fish!!

I did see 4 mallards and 1 (I think) teal and lots of coots!

That's my report, I have some thoughts but I need to do some homework before I make a fool out of myself by putting them here.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Okay, this is my thoughts on Alamo and I am open to being called crazy or whatever. I think the lake may have gone through the fall turnover very recently. The first thing I noticed yesterday was the water was not near as clear as it was a week ago. Secondly when I got up towards the buoy line there was algae like scum in large areas floating in mats and thirdly there was so much stuff in the water from 20ish down to 35 feet that it almost obscured fish on my sonar. And lastly when I took my boat out there was green brown scum all over the bottom at water line and also on lower unit. That was not true a week ago.
This is pasted off G&F website...I had to check first to see if this phenomenon even happened in Arizona desert lakes before I posted. (I grew up in MN so fall turnover always put a damper on fishing for a short period until things became normal again.)
So...now I have (in my own mind at least) an excuse!
turnover – In Arizona’s warmwater lakes, a turnover is typically experienced in the fall and is a phenomenon associated with thermoclines. In this case, the warmer layer of water at the surface cools down, and becomes colder than or as cold as the distinct layer of coldwater below. The result is that the two layers of water mix, eliminating the thermocline and creating a fairly uniform water temperature and perhaps introducing oxygen to the lower levels of the lake. This fall turnover action can result in bottom sediments nutrients being stirred up by the water movement, sometimes stimulating algal growth. The fall turnover typically signals the transition to winter fishing conditions.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:23 AM by azbohunter »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal