Author Topic: Line Question  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Line Question
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:15 AM »
I use the 6lb Berkley reflection clear, little memory in line (since I used closed face reels to cast) and what little trolling I do it seems to work OK, I am of the theory that the more line you let out the more it acts like a parachute when trolling so I tend to let out just enough line to be behind the boat and not spooking fish but not so much line out that it starts to want to "plane" and pull the jig up, I can tell how deep I am when I see trees/brush on the graph and get hung up? I think Art actually marks his line on the reel with a permanent marker so he knows how much line he has put out.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Southern_Pride

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I mark my line with a perm. marker too. 1 black mark for 10 feet, two black lines for 20 feet, etc.. That way I know exactly how much line to let out when I'm trolling as long as my speed stays constant. It works for me.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....
It's learning how to dance in the rain.

Offline sandman

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17 PM »
I rig up similar to Piscolli except I use Fireline. Not sure what weight it's been on the reels for many years. I think that it's 4# or 6# diameter. I rig up my leaders ahead of time with BPS Tournament 6# fluoro. Good stuff.

I know that at 1 mph my rig, without splitshot, will run about 15ft. deep. If I need to get deeper or troll faster, I add a splitshot, use heavier jigheads, or zig-zag my troll. The zig-zag makes your bait run at different depths.

My 'line out measurement' is very precise. I cast as far as I can and set the rod in the holder. If it's not too crowded, I'll open the bail after a couple of minutes and let 6-10 more coils off.

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Thanks guys, ordered some power pro thats heavier than I normally use but smaller diameter as well. Hopefully I can get out and give it a try soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal