Author Topic: Wind - how much is too much?  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Easy

Wind - how much is too much?
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I am thinking of going to Alamo but I have read several comments about the wind kicking up.  My questions are (1) how much wind (mph) can you continue to crappie fish in and, (2) how much wind (mph) makes it time to go to the dock?  I would appreciate your input.  Thanks.

Offline TRITOON

Re: Wind - how much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Depends on the type of boat you have. I have a pontoon with high sides so the wind pushes me around pretty bad. I usually call it quits between 15-20 as it really puts a strain on my trolling motor to keep it on track. Other low profile boats seem to take it a lot better.
Latest I heard the winds had calmed down since the weather has stabilized so you should be good until the next system moves in.   Good luck.
GOD BLESS

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:36 PM »
I have an 18' Triton bass boat and I am out when the white caps start rolling...

Offline Easy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  As my grandson used to say " I a pressure ate it".  Alamo is a three hour drive one way for me.  That's a long ways to get blown off the lake in a couple of hours.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:58 PM »
You can usually look online for wind reports to know if it's going to be bad or not.  Check out iWindsurf.com or intelliCast.com for wind forecasts.  If the wind kicks up too much, then usually it means I'll use the gas motor to take me upwind and then drift back to my spot.  That does get old quick though and don't like docking in those conditions so usually I'll get off if the wind is constant and looks like it's there to stay.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:55 AM »
Alamo is notorious for wind, even when all the weather sites say it will be calmer. Depends on the type of fishing you are doing and wind direction. If you are trolling out in open lake wind can beat you to death especially if it comes from the southwest up lake it can get to rocking and rolling up around the trees in open water only option then is to try and find a cove to hide from the wind. I don't know how many times last year the wind forecast sites said 5-10 or light and variable and it was blowing like hell almost all day long :angry4:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline cval2300

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Ive had some of my best days drifting or also anchoring up against the cliffs at San Carlos. Best day at roosevelt since the "new Lake syndrome' years ago was drifting near the dam in the fall. I usually stay on the lake a lot longer than most. When your butt starts puckering and you can't even stand up on the deck, its time to go. Ive got a 20' Champion with a deep hull though. Many storms would be dependent on how big your boat is.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal