Author Topic: sc 02/13/16  (Read 7898 times)

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
sc 02/13/16
« on: February 14, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Well someone needed to take one for the team. Last minute decision Friday nite lead Marvin and I on an exploring trip to San Carlos Lake Yesterday. We got our tribal licenses about 6:30 (you now also have to pay a $5.00 one time usage fee per fisherman along with the license) Any way got to the lake and launched off of the main ramp around 7:15 Trolled the bay at the launch and then north shoreline down to the dam popping into the coves along the way. Water at the the dam is 45 feet with a few pockets of 50' then trolled the south shoreline heading back up lake. NOTHING Headed up lake to explore. Going up lake in the main part of lake was 30-35' and goes all the way back to the hill that has the cross on it. Water is full of trees back there that grew up when lake was low. Looks like awesome spawning grounds when the water warms up if there are any fish left. Water there is 8-14' Lake dead calm so we tried slip bobbers in those trees for a couple of hours NOTHING Headed to straight across to the south shoreline went back to trolling in 11-12' of water until 2:30 when we called it with NOTHING. Saw 4 other boats no crappie fisherman. Did speak to one boat a nice couple that were catfishing. They told us 3 things I can neither agree with or deny (1) they said they have been doing well on cats for a year plus (2) said they saw crappie caught end of last summer (3) said all 3 ramps are in the water (not sure of those ramps names but sure they have to be dirt ramps) 7 hours trolling and slip bobber fishing with zero bites. The only thing we saw was coots and older coots when we looked at each other. Perfect day when was the last time you heard someone slip bobber fishing @ 2:30 pm on San Carlos. Took some pics but do not know how to post. Sent them to piscolli he will post them for me when he has a chance. The one pic that shows where the water and the ramp meet is suppose to show 140' I am not sure what exactly that means but think ramp is 200' so 140' means 60' of water is covering the ramp I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and correct me if wrong. Lots of water and cover for the fish to hide and if they are not bunched up it would be next to impossible to find in my humble opinion. Not saying lake is dead or alive we just could not find them. Will have to make another trip when the water temp is closer to love making 63 degrees. The water temps we saw varied from 49-53 degrees.

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
Re: sc 02/13/16
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Wow thanks for taking the trek.  That main ramp hasn't been in use for awhile.  We'll see how the summer goes with water levels.

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:22 AM »
Pics from Mark

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:23 AM »
1 more

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Thanks for the pics and update. I flew over the lake last weekend and it looked like chocolate milk from the air. Main ramp....are you talking about Soda Point
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:29 AM by sparkchaser »
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Thanks for scouting for us, I know many of us are curious as to how the lake is doing but not willing to make the trek.  Any surface action to speak of?

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Main ramp = Soda Canyon by the toilets that are disgusting. Lots of shad breaking the surface plus we graphed a ton of bait fish . Was surprised at the lack of carp jumping

Offline d3vdawg

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18 PM »
What does that put the Lake level at? San Carlos was before my time but definitely want to know more about the lake. Especially if it has the shad jumping. Bait fish being around there's gota be other fish there tht will reproduce, I've caught crappie in urban quarry's that are only 6-8 ft deep with plenty of bait fish and all other species from the salt. The crappie definitely have to be in their along with all other species, just a matter of time and stability.

Offline menrats

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48 AM »
thx guys that's a ton of water well have to try again this fall

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal