Author Topic: Fish salvage project.  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Captain Jack

• Just one of the guys who loves to fish.
Fish salvage project.
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I'm not sure when they plan on draining the town lake in Tempe.  It's my understand you can take all the fish you can catch.  I've never fished that water, but have been told there are a lot of fish of all AZ's warm water species in it.  Game and Fish will not spend the money to shock, net, or remove the fish by any means due to the costs.  If you have ever seen a drained lake such as San Carlos back in the early 70's you can relate to the ton's of all species that went to waste when it was finally drained.  Imagine thousands of 2 to 3 pound Crappies, Larger mouth Bass up to 15 pounds and hundreds of Flathead Catfish over 50 pounds.  You couldn't get out to them because of the mud and the Apache Game and Fish keep most of use from trying to even snag fish due to the danger of mud sink holes.  I regret not having a camera to show you all.  This also happened to Horseshoe leaving that little pond that separated  the Damn/pond by a huge mud barrier.  I got there way to late and all you could do cry and cover your nose from the rotting fish.  There was no safe way to get fish period and you could smell the rot for miles down wind.  Would any of you like to see if we can collect what fish we can get and the rules of the game?  I run a nonprofit to help our veterans suffering from PTSD.  I also know and have several friends who worked up to retirement with the AZ Game and Fish.  If we could get a little support from the Game and Fish by way of using their shocking rig we could literally fill the boat so to speak.  We could also transplant fish to other local ponds along the chain of ponds created through the Hayden road flood plane.  If you know the rules and want to join in let me know.  My email is jack7@q.com.  talk to me.  Captain Jack
Captain Jack

Piscolli

Re: Fish salvage project.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:49 AM »
If you can get game and fish to go for it I'm sure the AZCA would help out. But I warn you, you will probably only spin your wheel. Good luck Captain!

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:31 PM »
g and f is not going to do anything on removing the fish from TTL and transplanting them, excuses about disease etc. City of Tempe claims they purchased fish friendly pumps they are using for draining the lake now, I asked some one at g and f and they just kind of said "ya right" so those fish are doomed, to bad lots of lg. mouth bass, crappie, yellow bass and other species in that lake that will be dead when the water gets down to nothing :crybaby2:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:23 AM »
Looks like g and f has had a change of heart, (probably public pressure) and is going to work on saving the fish at TTL, got this email last night from them. I asked and they do not plan to put any habitat in the lake like old trees or plastic, only those cement reef balls if they do anything habitat wise :dontknow:

Arizona Game and Fish, City of Tempe work together to keep Town Lake fish healthy

March 2, 2016

PHOENIX – The City of Tempe and Arizona Game and Fish Department have cooperated on a management plan to help fish in Tempe Town Lake during the final phase of construction of the new dam.

“Our natural environment is extremely important to Tempe. We are grateful to have the expertise of Arizona Game and Fish and our longtime water quality expert, Aquatic Consulting, as we undertake the final phase of our dam construction,” said Tempe Public Works Director Don Bessler.

Arizona Game and Fish and the City of Tempe are working together to save as many fish as possible while the previous dam system is being removed. Tempe has to move the water out of Town Lake into an SRP canal system, leaving the lake without water for approximately three to five weeks.

The cooperative effort started several months ago and includes:

Not stocking fish as normal in fall 2015 in order to lower the number of fish that would need assistance.
    Removing the limit on the number of fish that people could catch at Town Lake.
    Moving a representative portion of some fish into protected areas of the lake that will retain water.
    Using fish-friendly pumps that allow the fish to move into the SRP canal system along with the water.
    Monitoring pockets of water within the lake that contain fish, since fish can survive in small space for such short amounts of time.

This planning has reduced the number of fish that need assistance. Several thousand people live and work around Tempe Town Lake and millions come to visit each year. It is the intent of both Arizona Game and Fish and the City of Tempe to minimize the impact of this project for these people.

“Some people have asked why we can’t move fish into other bodies of water, such as nearby Canyon Lake. We can’t do this because of the possible transfer of fish-related bacteria and diseases,” said Scott Gurtin, AZGFD Community Fishing Program manager. “This plan represents the best and safest way to conserve fish and keep our waters healthy.”

New fish will enter Town Lake when the lake is refilled. The water will come from the Central Arizona Project canal system, which has many varieties of fish. Insect-eating fish will also be stocked at that time. Arizona Game and Fish will restock Town Lake with other varieties at the appropriate times.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal