Author Topic: Alamo Lately  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Papermouth

Alamo Lately
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I'm not sure if most of the site users are not catching or not sharing but here is a general report. I've made it out on 4 occasions with my wife and brother in the last couple months, and fishing has been hit and miss but mostly good. I have been long line trolling grubs and minnows, tight lining jigs and minnows, and casting no minnow setups and each technique has had it's day.

The long line trolling has been by far the most productive, I would share an exact depth and grub color and all the specifics, but there honestly are none with the exception that chartreuse is the favorite flavor (as always). We caught fish trolling anywhere from 12-40 feet of water. The warmer and less windy it is, the closer the fish have been to the surface.

In the wind with near-dead trolling motor batteries last weekend, we were forced to slow down and ended up tight lining and catching fish 15 feet down. It was tough to keep the bait down there in the wind but couldn't catch squat near the surface.

One day when we ran out of minnows, we did some casting in the sticks up by the campers. We were catching fish dropping non-minnowed jigs and and out of the trees. Males were getting jet black but females still had eggs.

The fish are there, but weather seems to be a factor in catch. Good luck out there.
Have a Crappie Day :thumbsup:

Offline Papermouth

Re: Alamo Lately
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Having trouble with bigger attachments today, loading a couple individually.

Offline azbohunter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for the report. That's why they call it fishing :D
Was thinking about a trip this week but the wind forecast is ugly for the next several days and if I'm going to do Alamo as a day trip, I at least want to have a favorable forecast when I plan it.
There is shoreline all the way around Alamo and fish don't fly so you are right "the fish are there".
Looking forward to at least on more really good trip to Alamo this spring and have confidence that it will happen.
Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons,your quiver and bow,and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Last one as I'm going nuts, I need to find an easier way to reduce file size.

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Yes sir, it especially sucks when you only have the weekends to work with.

Based on your reports, you will do it again. The majority if not all but a few females still had eggs, and only a few had the big red blood vessels going.. I'm no expert at this but I'd say they will be going strong through the next full moon. Good luck!

Offline sandman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Irfanview. Quick, painless, and free :)

Offline Papermouth

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Thank you, sandman! I started a photo bucket account so I can link full size pictures instead of uploaded them but I can bring myself to use it quite yet. I'l check out your recommendation too, appreciate it.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28 AM »

Text the pictures to yourself and then their size gets reduced automatically. Then save that and you have a smaller picture!

It takes a few steps but you don't have to download a new app to your phone.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:20 PM »

Text the pictures to yourself and then their size gets reduced automatically. Then save that and you have a smaller picture!

It takes a few steps but you don't have to download a new app to your phone.

That's what I do, easiest for a non computer person
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline Mike / T

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47 PM »
They are there and you just have to find the little rascals.
We fished Easter and ended up with 15 all from the shore, North of the bouy line.
All in the afternoon and regret to say nothing the next day from shore or trolling.
We fished the Northwest shore in 3'-10' of water minnows only and they were real close and there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal