Author Topic: Headed to Alamo next weekend any advice?  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Top Deck

Headed to Alamo next weekend any advice?
« on: June 28, 2016, 05:31 AM »
I cant stand it any more. Im going to rent a cabin at Alamo and brave the heat. Need to Fish....
I haven't fished Crappie in the heat of the summer. any advice? I do have lights if that is the best way to go..

Offline sandman

Re: Headed to Alamo next weekend any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Lots of water and wet towels. Night fishing near the dam may produce the best right now.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Couple of things with night fishing.....

Always try to go out before it gets dark to create a track on your graph to get you back to the ramp (if that is your intention). Your mind can play tricks on you when it is pitch black out there. As long as you follow what has been laid down, you should be ok.
Bring a spotlight for the trip back to the ramp, as some people go out totally dark, and could be in front of you.

As far as Alamo at night, I've had some really good trips out there in the summer. In the past I have always headed to the exposed trees past the buoy line and dropped lights there. Usually fishing in 15 to 25 FOW. I usually tight line with minnows, and/or cast a bobber. Most success came on the tight line rig. On my tight line rig I use a 1/8 oz bass casting sinker on the bottom with two loop knots above, spread apart about 18 inches. Bobber rig is a single hook with a split shot above. You may have to adjust depths, but once you find the fish, hang on.

Totally recommend lights, as they get the plankton and bait fish active to your boat. Usually, once that happens, the bigger fish come in. Good luck out there.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54 PM »
If you run up lake make sure you have a spot light, the lake is still dropping and there are lots of trees exposed. Also they say the launch ramp is still usable but there is a prop wash out area right off shore so launch slowly and keep you out drive as high as you can so you don't hit it. It is normally hotter there than in Phoenix so night fishing or (real early morning) will be the tolerable time to fish.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal