Author Topic: newbie here to crappie fishing ... the moon?.  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Desert Dawg

newbie here to crappie fishing ... the moon?.
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Hi all. My name is Dax.I am new to the sport of crappie fishing.
 Question: Do the crappie bite better on a full moon or no moon night?
I was out at plez about 3 weeks ago during a near full moon night up the river, trying for striper. Nothing was biting. So Iscooped a couple of shad and hooked them up and pulled up a crappie. Tried again and twicelost the slab right at the boat.
I went back to the same spot this past Sat. With a bucket of minnows. Nearly no moon. And couldn't buy a bite. 

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
Re: newbie here to crappie fishing ... the moon?.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20 PM »
DD,

If you ask this question to 50 Crappie fishermen you're bound to get 50 different answers.  I have had good nights during all moon phases so personally I don't think that it really matters.  I know people who will NEVER fish on a full moon no matter how good of a bit you tell them you're on.  Another thing to think of is minnows vs. shad, that could have been the difference especially if you had small minnows. 

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:08 AM »
The other thing Pleasant drops all summer long at times over a foot a week, as the water drops the crappie will move to other locations down river for comfortable water temps and depths
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline NavyVet

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:45 AM »
I heard both sides of the moon phase theory. Growing up in CO we caught them no moon to full moon so I don't believe that was the issue. Now with water levels changing so are the crappie for more comfort and depth and food source.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal