Author Topic: Alamo first timers  (Read 3983 times)

Offline CCreeker

Alamo first timers
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:59 PM »
 :sign0144: Read a lot of your articles on Alamo, so my wife and I decided to visit it last Wednesday and Thursday. Launching my 21' pontoon was an experience. Could not get it deep enough by the dock, so we had to go straight back on the asphalt ramp. After we figured it out, we got out on the water. Two beautiful days. Didn't see any more than two boats at any time back by the buoy line. Started in the first cove just NW of the buoy line, water temp avg. 74, electric trolling motor, split shoting a double minnow rig with all 4 poles out front. Water depth 12' to 16'  had minnows running 7-8 feet down. Picked up a couple 2 pounders and a couple more inside the buoy line that went just shy of 2 pounds. Missed a few bites a long the way however.

Second day we got a late start., out  on the water around 10 o'clock. We decided to try the same area however this time we were going to troll, using a black and chartreuse  headed Roadrunner with a black and blue curly tail. We didn't even get the 2nd rod out and we had our first fish, by the time we got all the rods out we had fish number 2. We tried several different colors on the rods, only to discover they wanted that black and blue curly tail. Hope this report helps others as your reports helped us to have a successful outing. One added bonus to the whole trip was donkey watching. My wife really enjoyed them. hence: that could be why a few bites were missed. :fish:

Offline TRITOON

Re: Alamo first timers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Welcome CCreeker, and thanks for posting your experience. Well done. We have fished the SW side of the buoy line so I guess we need to move up a bit. If you come back up look us up, we are in FH 19 by the fish cleaning station with the blue pontoon, we also volunteer here at the park, wife in the store me wherever I am sent. Stop by.
GOD BLESS

Offline CCreeker

Re: Alamo first timers
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Thanks for the invite tritoon. I am always in the mood for fish talk. There is a constant learning curve associated with this sport. Will definitely stop in next time. We actually stayed in the largemouth cabin, which I think might have been right across from you. The 21'tracker with the yellow bimini top, as I noticed a poonton boat by a big motor home, I believe was blue. By the fish cleaning station, which is a very nice setup. In fact everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful. Might have been your wife in the office that turned us on to the cove on the NW side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal