Author Topic: Line Question  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
Line Question
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Just curious what you guys use for line. I have used 6lb or 4lb Trilene for years as an all purpose line for crappie and trout fishin but am curious if I should be using something else. I thought I remember Art saying to use braid trolling over the trees at Rosey at some point.

Piscolli

Re: Line Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56 AM »
For trolling I use 20# Power Pro braid with 10# fluro leaders. For casting I use 6# Seagar Red Label fluro and for bobbers I use 6# Suffix Elite in green.

Offline Tweeder

• AZCA Members
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54 PM »
20# braid? Really? Wow that I would not have guessed.

Offline Southern_Pride

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I use the Sufix 832 superline, 10lb test line. It's very abrasion resistant and my 10lb line has something like a 4lb mono diameter or something like that. It's fairly pricey, think I paid around twenty bucks for it but it's a great line.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....
It's learning how to dance in the rain.

Offline Fish Hawk

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:33 PM »
I use Power Pro braid 5# test = 1# mono dia. and  6-15# Seagar RL fluro for leader. trolling and casting. 

Piscolli

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Its 6# diameter. And the fluro is invisible. For trolling go big. Make your leads ahead of time. No need to tie knots on the water.

Offline TRITOON

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:30 PM »
We use 6# Fireline mostly but have a couple reels spooled with 8# Fireline.
GOD BLESS

Piscolli

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Why use 20lb line and how do you know what depth you are trolling at with it?

I'm creating a weak point in my rig which is the leader and they're already made and on a Lindy Rig holder. On the braid I have a snap (and a bullet weight if necessary) already tied on. My (pre-made) leaders have 2 lead heads with a swivel at the end and are very easy to change.

Depth is easy, just open your bail and count.

Piscolli

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Its not hard man just get rid of the mono.

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24 AM »
For years I've used nothing but 6# P-line Fluorocarbon or Fluoroclear. I was thinking about asking this same question a few days ago because it sucks to have to change expensive line so much. I wanted to test out the braided line because it could last for years. I have a few other friends that stand by the braided regardless.

Crappieguy, I've never really known how deep I am when I'm fishing. What I do is let line out, if I don't get bites I let some more out until I start catching or getting hits. The key thing I do is count how far I let out or real in so I have an idea of where I am by how much line I have out. Because I've experienced your same issue with the different lines creating different depths at different speeds I thought this way worked out great for me. I've always felt there are just too many variables to REALLY tell your exact depth when trolling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal