Author Topic: Is this a baby Crappie?  (Read 7396 times)

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
Is this a baby Crappie?
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:18 PM »
So as most of you know, Tommy love him his fly rod, especially when there a toowater bite. I caught about 30 or so of the one in the first photo, with the dry fly in his mouth, a basic run of the mill ordinary bluegill. And then I had only one of the second photo, different fins, different tail, no stripes, much larger protruding mouth......so the million dollar question, is it a Crappie or just a misfit bluegill. Bruce, your thoughts?
When in doubt, set the hook!

Tom

Offline sandman

Re: Is this a baby Crappie?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Looks like a crappie to me.

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:36 AM »
Hard to tell since all my Crappie are 15 to 17 inches. Poo hee

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:45 AM »
caught several little crappie through the years and they looked just like a crappie just little, that one is hard to tell? I will send the pic to Curt at g and f and see what he says. Was that at Green valley lake Payson?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:21 AM by Fishless »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Nope, this was out of my local fly fishing honey hole behind Greenfield library in Gilbert. It's the fishable lake next to the Riparian no fish lakes. All the ones I catch up in Payson are all in the 8 to 10 inch range and are definetly Crappies.

Tom

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:27 AM »
For what it's worth, I see stripes and a dark spot on the gill plate which makes me lean toward bluegill or perch.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17 PM »
On further investigation I believe that could very well be a white crappie.  I don't see that many around here.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:53 PM »
From Curt G.

Not a crappie. Looks like a hybrid sunfish, probably a bluegill x redear hybrid.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline FishMan

• Administrator
  • Toot-Toot
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Well in that case mark another species off my list. I'll take it!!!!

Tom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal