Author Topic: San Carlos  (Read 5329 times)

Offline bunhead

San Carlos
« on: March 31, 2017, 02:21 PM »
We fished San Carlos Wed. Afternoon and Thursday until one. Very windy but big crappie were biting sporadically both days. The two of us ended up with 28. All giants. We fished the half mile east of San Carlos point and the fish were,scattered throughout with no apparent concentration in any one area. Most were caught on chartreuse beetle spin and they didn't seem to care if there was a minnow attached. Beware the concrete ramp up lake as it ends a few feet past water's edge. Easy to lose an axle. Also beware, for two persons with a boat for two days fishing it cost $62.50! Store at the lake is open and they do have minnows but nothing else. Except, of course beer.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: San Carlos
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Thanks for the report and information on launching and costs
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I'm new to San Carlos.  I've heard several references to San Carlos point but don't find it on any lake maps.  Where is it in relation to the Soda Canyon boat ramp? Thanks in advance
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline IAMMAC

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Opposite end of the lake!

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:14 AM »
In that case is there a closer ramp to use or should I be prepared to hall up lake for a while.
“In my circle of old friends there is no clear line between religion and crappie fishing”

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:14 AM »
As far as I know, there's only 1 ramp at that lake and it's up by the dam. I've heard of people launching from the shore in the past, but IDK the rules on that or if it's possible because of lake levels right now.

Offline on the rocks

• AZCA Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Plan on launching at the ramp by the damn and traveling up lake. Once up lake you should start seeing some boats. If you go during a week day maybe not to many boats. If I had to guess you are looking at around 8 miles up lake to where the flotilla was this past weekend when we went. However I did hear of fish being caught in those 3-4 coves across from the boat ramp.

Offline Tombstone King

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12 PM »
There are three other paved boat ramps on the north side up-lake from the main Soda Canyon ramp.  There is one at New Government Corral and two at Mohave Point.  I just talked to Tribal Game and Fish and they said that the Government Corral ramp is safe for launching and the lower ramp at Mohave Point is okay too.  They said the upper launch at Mohave Point is only about 7 feet into the water.  So right now if you backed your trailer back wheels more than 7 feet into the water you run the risk of them dropping off the bottom edge of the ramp and then you might need a tow truck to get your trailer back up over the edge.

Offline KINGFISHER

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the info.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal