Author Topic: Transducer wire damage w/ Composite shaft Minnkota TM  (Read 5029 times)

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
I have 2 1198's on my boat, one at the console, one up front. Also, two HDSI transducers. One on the transom, one on the Terrova. Everything is networked.

Dropped my Terrova into the water and started receiving horrible noise when I was running the trolling motor. Turn the motor off, noise goes away. Didn't take long to figure out what was wrong. As seen in the pic, the shielding for the wire was completely severed. Realize, I exaggerated the damage to make it wore obvious in the pic. I was really actually lucky I caught it before the wires shorted out and took out my entire network.

I came to realize that after 4 years of stowing the trolling motor was the cause. Although in the picture it looks as though there is a space there, when I stow it was actually contacting the wire.

I thought about trying to install a repair, but because of where it is along the run it would be difficult to ensure that it was water tight. It is right at an area where the wire was almost at a 90 degree bend. So I ordered a new transducer. LLL also turned me onto a new product that I ordered, as seen here:

https://www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com/product-page/cable-save-r-for-ulltrex-motor

The good thing about their product, is you don't have to worry about installing the wire up the shaft sleeve, and gluing it. Also, the head does not need to come off the trolling motor to route it. Just thought I would share before it happens to someone else.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Transducer wire damage w/ Composite shaft Minnkota TM
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20 PM »
neat adapter, I am surprised you are able to get your humminbird to work without terrible noise on the graph from the Terrova TM, I gave up on the humminbird after countless calls to them and Minn Kota and went to Lowrance and it is amazing no noise at all when the TM is on.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Thanks Dave for the tip, I'll be interested to see your installation of that product, sure would be easier than taking the whole thing apart and wiring it down the shaft. I would hope Minnkota Provides a less-custom option in future models.

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:12 AM »
neat adapter, I am surprised you are able to get your humminbird to work without terrible noise on the graph from the Terrova TM, I gave up on the humminbird after countless calls to them and Minn Kota and went to Lowrance and it is amazing no noise at all when the TM is on.

Bruce, I have never had problems with noise until this last trip to Powell. As long as I switched my network to one transducer or the other. If I left them both on at the same time I would receive noise. Similar to when you get close to another boat and pick up their transducer.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Thanks Dave for the tip, I'll be interested to see your installation of that product, sure would be easier than taking the whole thing apart and wiring it down the shaft. I would hope Minnkota Provides a less-custom option in future models.

You were the first person I thought of after this happened, as you have almost an identical install. I'll post pics of the new install once all of the parts arrive.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline sparkchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13 PM »
The transducer finally came on Friday afternoon, and I was able to get everything installed this morning. Took about 2 hours.
SEA.....HAWKS....

Offline OneBlade

• Administrator
  • San Carlos Crappie
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Install looks just like it was designed that way. Very nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal