Author Topic: 2-15-2011 G&F report  (Read 1742 times)

Piscolli

2-15-2011 G&F report
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:21 PM »
2-15-2011 Crappie Report

Even with a week of solid weather, the storms from a week and a half ago had a big effect on the Crappie bite. Real cold weather in Wenden, Periot and Roosevelt coupled with high winds cooled surface temps even more. San Carlos had a decent bite over the weekend while Alamo and Roosevelt remained very tough.

Family stuff will keep me off the water this weekend but it looks like I wonít miss much. More nasty weather is coming and will surely have a negative effect for a couple days. But donít fear Crappie chasers, we are heading for a great pre-spawn bite.

Alamo- Will Taylor from Bass Pro Shops and his lovely wife Robin spent the weekend at the camp grounds. Today Mr. T told me that although they went to fish for bass, they did spend about 3 hours on Sunday searching for Crappie. They ended up with 6 beauties and at the cleaning station saw several other anglers with the same. Get ready for a weekend trip west. Alamo should pop soon!   

Bartlett- It looks like SRP will be taking water for Phoenix off the Verde until April, so Bartlett will slowly drop for a while. Although it will mean good catch rates, it will also probably mean a poor spawn. But I do believe the population is strong, and from what Iíve seen in the last year, there are several different age classes of Crappie.

Roosevelt- Small numbers of really big fish are being caught. Not a lot, but a lot of jumbos. Get ready for a great pre-spawn at Rosey, probably the best in years. Have your boat tuned up, your gear organized and be prepared to spend some time on the water. Remember that luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

San Carlos- Still the hot spot. Last Saturday a group from the Arizona Crappie Association hit SC for a beautiful day on the water. With good temps, light winds and no moon, I thought it would be crackin! Well, it wasnít exactly that, but it sure beat workin. Me and the 1st St. crew ended up with 17. Other boats caught as many as 25, but most had a dozen or so. The bite was shallow out by Old San Carlos Point and was better in the afternoon. We mostly trolled two 1/16 oz grubs per line tipped with minnows at .8 mph with about 10 feet of line out. Like I talked about Rosey a couple weeks ago, break away from the flotilla and youíll find Crappie suspended shallow everywhere. The east end of SC is stuffed with slabs.

Today members of the Arizona Crappie Association worked on a habitat project with Game and Fish at Tempe Town Lake. Although today was an ďexperimentĒ, it was a lot of fun, a great learning experience and seemed to be a viable long term solution to building fish habitat for our desert lakes. Iím sure there will be more info to come on this site.

The AZCA would like to thank Chris and the gang at AZGFD for the opportunity to help with this important conservation effort. We would also like to thank Ron, Ray, Denny, and the crew from the UAAF. The efforts you guys have put into our waters will pay off for generations. And a special thanks to Mr. Don McDowell, host of Shake, Rattle and Troll on KFNX 1100, Sundays from 7 to 9 am. It was great working with all you guys and I look forward to the next time. 

One more thing about today I want to say, the folks at AZGFD work really hard and put a ton of heart into projects like this. They should be commended for their efforts and supported by all anglers, hunters and for that matter, everyone who enjoys our great AZ outdoors. Give them a call and see if there are volunteer projects that you can help with.

Well Iím off to celebrate my fatherís 80th birthday with my family this weekend, but I hope to hear some great reports when I get back. So keep dry and weíll see what happens after this next front.

For more information on Crappie Fishing and the Arizona Crappie Association, please visit our website at www.azcrappie.com. Or you can always come visit me at Bass Pro Shops.

To protect the future of our sport, the Arizona Crappie Association practices and promotes the immediate release of all Crappie under 10Ē in length.

Bill (Piscolli) Eveland
AZCA/ BPS

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2-15-2011 G&F report
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Did anyone get pictures of the Habitat Project at TTL today? That would be pretty awesome to have out to see what they look like.

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:04 AM »
they took pics and video yesterday, I was the PR man for the "pres" and he did an interview for the g and f wildlife views t.v. show, there are a few pics on azbasszone (in the habitat forum)

great report Bill and my back is still sore this morning but it was fun, I stayed around to watch them sink the first reef, that was a realllllll learning curve they put one inflated ball inside the reef and then floated two on top to keep it from sinking to soon and then leased the air bladders (those things weigh over 1000lbs) rather labor intensive but they should last about 500 years!!!!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34 AM »
I forgot sunblock or a hat so my mellon is sunburt. I have some pics and will post them ASAP

Offline PhishingPhreek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I forgot sunblock or a hat so my mellon is sunburt. I have some pics and will post them ASAP

We need pictures and stuff to show people what we do as a club rather than tell them.
If you have access to the video we can get the uploaded too.