Author Topic: Blacknose Crappie at Roosevelt  (Read 3877 times)

Offline cousinlll

• Administrator
Blacknose Crappie at Roosevelt
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Info for Art & Bruce....

On three separate weekends in late Sept, mid Oct & early Nov Tommy Fishman, Billy Fishhawk & myself have caught Blacknose Crappie in one particular spot on the Tonto end of Roosevelt Lake.  Had to be in the submerged trees to get bit & were caught both on minnow rigs & jigs.  They were marginal keepers at 9 to 10 1/2 inches in length.

Here's a blurb from a google search:

"Black-nose or black-stripe crappie are black crappie that have a recessive gene causing a black stripe from the dorsal fin down to the lips. The recessive gene may prove to be an evolutionary change, helping the crappie to see, as well as providing better camouflage when stalking prey.

Black nosed crappie were first officially documented in the White River basin in Arkansas in the 1980’s, and there are unofficial reports of the fish being caught in Ohio in the 1950’s. They have now been found in lakes and rivers all over the country. Black nosed crappie are black crappie in most cases, unless hybridization has happened naturally or been induced in a lab.  There has not been a documented white crappie with this trait."

Here are a couple pics....

Bruce - email has been sent

LLL

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:24 AM by cousinlll »

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
Re: Blacknose Crappie at Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:05 PM »
We stocked 25,000+ crappie this last year from hatchery at rosy in a lot of coves on the tonto end thinking there must of been a few mixed in with the black crappie be interesting if there are any females in the group or just males, guess time will tell.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

Piscolli

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11 AM »
That is a trip!

Offline Art Chamberlin

• AZCA Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I forgot to tell you Rambo told me Thursday he caught some on the Salt end of the lake, not sure where. .......Art

Offline Fishless

• AZCA Members
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Thanks Art, I don't remember any of the boats doing the stocking going on the salt end? I think they did for the bass but there was a lot more of them to stock than the crappie, unless those crappie traveled a long ways?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal